If you’re looking to become an auditor, it is important for you to know which companies hold the best career prospects for you. If you’ve been in the audit business for some time now, it helps to be reminded of the big companies that you should target for the year 2012.
Undeniably, some of the best companies for auditors in 2012 are the Big4 accountancy firms. The nickname Big4 is given to four of the largest professional services in accountancy and professional finance services. These companies handle a great majority of the audits of both public trade as well as private companies. The four share dominance in the audits of large companies.
Currently, the four companies known as the Big4 is actually a group once dubbed as the Big Eight. Before they became known as the Big Four, they were initially reduced to the Big Five due to a series of mergers. They finally became the Big4 after another company, the Arthur Andersen, became involved in a scandal in 2002, which led to its demise.
The Big4 companies, which offer some of the best and the most esteemed auditor jobs in 2012, are:
- PricewaterhouseCoopers - Also known as PwC, PricewaterhouseCoopers employs over 169,000 employees. Its main headquarters is in the UK but it has offices in many international locations including New York.
- Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu - Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, or simply Deloitte, has more than 180,000 employees and is largely based in the United States although it has offices in around 140 countries. This professional services firm delivers services such as audit, tax, consultancy, and financial advisory.
- Ernst & Young - Ernst & Young is another large professional services company based in the UK, but has offices worldwide. It currently has 152,000 people in its employment.
- KPMG - KPMG is a professional services firm with over 140,000 employees. It is based in the Netherlands, but has offices in the US and in other countries (152 in total).
Other Top Auditing Firms
If you are not bent on working for the Big4, there are plenty of other auditing firms that can give you a great career in auditing. Next to the Big4, the top professional services firms on the market include:
- Grant Thorton UK
- RSM Tenon Group
- Baker Tilly
- Smith & Williamson
These companies are dubbed as the mid-tier professional services firms. That completes a list of the top ten professional services companies in which to be an auditor for the year 2012.
Auditors can also pursue a career as an internal auditor for privately held corporations. As of now, the best companies to work for in 2012 include:
- Boston Consulting Group - Boston Consulting Group is a global management consulting firm. It is considered as one of the best employers since its internal corporate culture is found to be extremely beneficial and highly focused on employees, giving them maximum space for growth. According to CNNMoney, the Boston Consulting Group is the second best company to work for.
- Goldman Sachs - Auditors can also join other financial services organizations aside from professional services firms. One example is the Goldman Sachs, a global bank holding company that focuses on investment banking, investment management, and securities services.
- Google - Unsurprisingly, Google is also a top employer for the year 2012. The Internet technology and computing giant currently employs thousands of employees. Due to the continuously growing prominence of the Internet, Google is expected to continuously expand. Google is currently listed as the first of the top 100 best companies to work for in a study conducted by CNNMoney. According to the study, Google employees experience job growth of 33%. Google has also been dubbed as the “king of perks”.
Is Your Employer One of the Best?
These companies are not named as the best companies to work just because they are highly successful and profitable. They are named so due to the high level of career advancement they offer, especially in the auditing world, and due to the favorable employee programs they also provide.
To find the best company to work for, it is important to consider not just the salary or the job description, but also the career fulfillment that your job is offering. The audit career has several marked milestones, so every year, auditors should give thought as to how they are growing, how much they are learning, and where they are going in their careers.
To look for a new audit job, visit CareersinAudit.com, the leading job site for auditing vacancies.