Development Project Auditors @ UN & EC Projects c.60% overseas (perm. & flex-contract)
These unique and rewarding permanent & flexible-contract* opportunities would suit experienced multi-lingual audit professionals (qualified) that are outgoing, love diverse travel experiences, meeting a broad range of inspiring people and supporting very worthwhile causes. The international travel component is upwards of 50% of the working year.
Overseas assignments are typically 1-2 weeks in length and could mean travel to one of over 100 countries/ territories. There is potentially an excellent career path in a rapidly expanding field of work which can lead to transition to a more UK-based management role or alternatively an overseas posting to one of the specialist hubs in Africa, Asia or Latin America. It presents a fantastic opportunity to see the parts of the world you’d never otherwise get to see and pick up extremely relevant institutional donor and fieldwork experience, vital for anyone seeking a career in the international development NGO sector.
Complete expenditure audits of a extremely diverse range of projects funded by international donor institutions ranging from emergency aid, to long term development in areas such as agriculture, health or infrastructure, to more commercial projects such as SME development or technical research. Additionally, depending on your seniority you will provide on the job training and guidance to more junior team members throughout the assignment process. This role includes considerable travel on assignments to any part of the world.
*Flexible-Contract Option; 300-400 Euros pd. + associated expenses.
For qualified multi lingual accountants/auditors with a minimum of 5+ years post-qualified-experience in audit, in diverse international settings &/or INGO financial management experience with ideally a 2nd European language (French, German, Spanish, Portuguese) flexible-contract options may be available for consideration. Mandarin language skills are also a benefit for some posts. That is, 1-3 week assignments across the European mainland and the developing world offered on an assignment by assignment basis.
Contractors can be based outside the UK on European mainland but must be able to work in the EU. For more details email CV via the 'Apply' button.
The role will use all your communication, problem-solving and analytical skills and will give you experience in working with major institutions all over the world. An example assignment might see you leading an audit opening meeting with a UNICEF country office on the Monday morning, before heading off to spend a few days with a local NGO or government partners to audit the way they have spent UN funds. You will look at a sample of supporting documents to make sure the expenditure is genuine and for the purposes intended by UNICEF, and review the internal controls of the NGO, making recommendations as to how these might be improved to strengthen the management of the UN resources. At the end of the fieldwork, you will draft at aide-memoire document and discuss your findings with both the UN and its local partner, explaining your reasoning and being prepared to defend your position. At the airport, you could even start drafting the formal report as you wait for your flight back to London. In addition to a competitive salary and flexible benefits, we will offer internal training to maximise your personal and technical skills.
- Qualified or part-qualified ACA / ACCA / CIMA accountant (Finalists considered for permanent contracts only)
- Diplomacy and cultural sensitivity while working with a hugely diverse range of clients and beneficiaries
- A real interest in international development and associated funding structures
- Fluency in a second language is preferable, especially in French, Spanish, German or Portuguese, Mandarin and Arabic.
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Team worker
- Resilience and adaptability
- Internationally recognised audit qualification preferable.
- At least two-three years of audit experience (Contract roles 5-10 years minimum)
- Ability to work under pressure; Strong planning, organisational and time management skills
- Sound technical and analytical skills, report writing and presentation skills
- Language skills desirable not essential: French, Portuguese, German or Spanish
- Passionate about international travel and development and willing to work in international locations for 50% plus of the time
Candidates for permanent London based roles must have the right to work in the UK. Contractors can be based out of a European city.
For more exciting audit based roles in the not for profit & international development sectors, with and without a travel component please click on the 'Apply' button
For more opportunities across Africa, Asia, Latin America & the UK please visit the AfID website
Apply for Development Project Auditors @ UN & EC Projects c.60% overseas (perm. & flex-contract)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly