Principal Auditor - Internal Audit
The Liverpool City Region Combined Authority was created in 2014 and became a Mayoral Combined Authority in 2017. Significant sums of money have been devolved to the Combined Authority to support regeneration and projects to transform the City Region.
We are looking to recruit a qualified, experienced Internal Auditor to provide high quality professional support to the organisation. You will be a CCAB (or CIMA) qualified accountant or Chartered Internal Auditor (or equivalent), with significant, demonstrable experience of internal audit, preferably gained within a public sector environment. Enthusiastic, professional and a strong communicator, you will have a sound knowledge of the principles and application of risk-based auditing; the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards; and effective risk management. Key attributes for the role include the ability to build strong professional relationships, negotiate, influence and challenge.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to support the audit, governance and risk management of the organisation at a time of rapid development and growth.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Internal audit provides internal audit services and co-ordinates the system of corporate risk management for Merseytravel and the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority. It undertakes a key role in appraising and advising on the effectiveness of the internal control environment in operation and in facilitating the management of risk.
The Principal Auditor will provide professional support to the development and delivery of effective internal audit, through undertaking high quality and complex risk-based audits linked to the delivery of corporate priorities. The post-holder will support the service in ensuring continued compliance with the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards, and in embedding an effective Quality Assurance and Improvement Programme.
The post-holder will be a risk management champion in the organisation, and will play a key role in facilitating the development of corporate risk management. This will include supporting the implementation of its risk management policy, supporting senior management in embedding effective risk management into their decision-making, and facilitating management review and update of risk registers.
DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE TO: Audit Manager
DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR: Senior Auditors, Auditor as required
- Undertake high quality risk-based internal audit work in compliance with the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards, relevant legislation and guidance.
- Contribute to the compilation and effective delivery of the Internal Audit Plan.
- Provide advice and guidance to the organisation on the implementation and maintenance of an effective system of internal control, including governance, risk management and counter-fraud.
- Support the Head of Internal Audit in arriving at the Annual Opinions for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority and Merseytravel.
- Undertake reactive and proactive counter fraud work, including the investigation of allegations of fraud and irregularity.
- Contribute to the achievement of internal performance targets as outlined in the Internal Audit Quality Assurance and Improvement Programme (QAIP)
- Support the organisation to embed the principles of risk management.
- Support the servicing of the relevant Committees, as directed by the Head of Internal Audit.
- Undertake effective supervision of Senior Auditors / Auditors as required, so as to improve quality and delivery of the Internal Audit Plan.
- Use knowledge, skills and experience to build effective professional relationships with colleagues, subordinates, senior management and partners and use these to provide a high quality service and to promote a culture of continuous improvement.
The role holder may be required to undertake any other appropriate duties as deemed necessary.