Are you a newly qualified, or part-qualified (awaiting final exam results) accountant who is keen to further develop your skill set by joining our team. You will be delivering financial audits and performance audits on wide ranging issues affecting Scotland’s public sector.
The last few years have seen unprecedented change in Scotland, the UK and internationally; with more change to come and a fair amount of uncertainty, public audit has never been more important.
At Audit Scotland we recognise our people are our biggest asset, supporting your development and ensuring this is a happy and enjoyable place to work. We offer a competitive package that aims to look after your health and wellbeing, work-life balance, along with the money in your pocket.
Overall purpose of the role
You will undertake complex financial, performance and best value audit work. You will make audit judgements, contributing to the planning, development and delivery of our audits to a world-class standard. You’ll interface with clients and stakeholders, providing assurance which helps support improvement and focus upon what’s important.
How can you help us?
As a key team member, you’ll:
- Contribute to planning, development and delivery of financial, performance and best value auditing work.
- Assist with audit fieldwork and summarise evidence and analysis to identify key themes and make audit judgements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the audited bodies.
- Support the drafting and publication of the audit reports.
As you establish yourself as part of our team, you will be given the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and experience by leading on small audits, further developing relationships with clients and stakeholders and supervising the work of less experienced colleagues.
There are likely to be opportunities to work across our two main business groups, contributing to our programme of national performance and best value audits as well as annual financial audits.
Specific knowledge and experience...
- You will be a fully qualified or part qualified (awaiting final exam results) accountant (CIPFA, ICAS, other CCAB, CIMA or equivalent).
- A lateral thinker, you can analyse complex problems, using data tools such as excel and offer practical solutions demonstrating your clear judgement.
- You are a great team player and also able to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Working to deadlines, you will plan and prioritise with minimum supervision and be proficient in using windows-based software, such as Microsoft Office.
- You have a plan for the future that includes your own continuous development, inspiring others and helping Audit Scotland lead on being a world-class organisation.
- You will preferably have practical experience of delivering quality audits; ideally in a public sector environment.
Your work-life balance is important to us, so we have a clear commitment to a whole range of flexible working options, including flexi-time, giving you freedom about where and when you start and finish work. We also have a generous holiday entitlement of 42 days a year including public holidays.
We offer a local government defined-benefit, career average pension scheme along with a package that aims to look after your professional development and the money in your pocket. You’ll find more on our full range of benefits along with more on who we are and what we do on our careers site.
We employ around 280 staff in a wide variety of roles, working from our headquarters in Edinburgh city centre and across Scotland. We’re different, modern and have an open culture. Our people have the flexibility, autonomy and freedom they desire to make a difference in their work.
We were awarded 2019 One to Watch status by the Sunday Times Best Companies Survey, and listed within the 2019 Sunday Times 100 Best Not-For-Profit Organisations to work for.
Interested? Next steps
Click the apply button. Fill in our application form. If you wish, you can share your CV.
We’ve week commencing 29 April 2019 for interviews.