Associate Director for Governance, Risk & Assurance
This role supports the Chief Executive, Met Office Board, Executive Board and Executive Extended Leadership Team (EELT) in working across boundaries to provide appropriate governance, risk management and corporate assurance across the full breadth of Met Office activities. The role provides leadership and management oversight of governance, assurance, risk and business management activities ensuring their compliance with statutory, regulatory and legislative requirements. The role reports to the Chief Executive and is the Corporate Secretary for the Met Office and a member of the Chief Executive’s leadership team
The Met Office is the UK’s internationally-renowned national meteorological service. Providing world-leading weather forecasts for more than 160 years their public services and warnings are a part of everyday life for the people of Britain.
The Met Office's cutting-edge capabilities assist the UK and the international community in meeting the twin challenges of forecasting the weather and understanding and planning for a changing climate. Delivering a wide range of services and expert advice to both public and private sector organisations, through sophisticated big data technology and a resilient 24x7 operational capability.
- As a member of the EELT you will collaborate in the development of strategy, business objectives, corporate plan and business planning processes.
- Collaborate with the wider EELT to lead the successful delivery of organisational transformation and major change initiatives, specifically leading across the business on all aspects of governance, risk and assurance. Including championing the Corporate Plan and putting Met Office goals before those of the Function.
- Advise the Executive on policy, strategy and standards for the governance, risk and assurance, and any business management / professional responsibilities required of the Met Office. Including acting as the Corporate Secretary and ensuring corporate records of business decisions are maintained, organisational and strategic risks are monitored, and assurance and internal control activities are aligned. In addition, represent the Met Office at relevant governance meetings, including interaction with Ministers, their Outer Offices, the Met Office Chairman and Chief Executive.
- Custodian of the Met Office business operating model, ensuring both its governance and development is appropriately controlled to continually meet strategic and business requirements and that the Executive are regularly appraised of strategic risks to it.
- Ensure business activities, policies and processes comply with regulatory, legislative and quality standards. Ensuring they are aligned with strategy, are customer focused, lean, resilient, promote good practice, are reviewed regularly and that required records are maintained to provide assurance to the Met Office Board on the efficacy of internal controls.
- Ensure the corporate risk management strategy is effectively implemented and that the implications of operational risks are appropriately reflected in assurance, internal control arrangements, process governance and business resilience approaches.
- The Point of Contact for Standards in Public Life and Whistleblowing. Co-ordinating and initiating corporate investigations into significant business incidents and ensuring “Lessons Learnt” and associated management actions are identified.
- Exemplifying Met Office values and behaviours, both personally and within the Function, creating a positive working environment which supports diversity and enables staff to excel.
- Excellent skills in clear, honest, compelling communication to enable you to negotiate and influence at Executive level to achieve outcomes through others.
- Ability to provide strong, inspirational, inclusive leadership not just in governance, risk and assurance, but across the breath of the organisation as part of the Met Office Extended Executive Leadership Team.
- A good understanding of the Met Office's business activities and priorities to enable you to meet the requirements of your internal customers now and in the future.
- Good understanding of governance, risk and assurance principles and mechanisms and systems of internal control. Including strategic planning, budgeting cycles, Portfolio, Programme and Project Management.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to assess the right time to intervene in challenging situations and have the tact, diplomacy and gravitas to speak the truth to power.
- Ability to build and develop collaborative relationships and a strong network across organisational boundaries to ‘stay in touch’ with what is happening across the organisation and be seen as somebody who can be trusted to act in the best interests of the Met Office at all times.
- Good team player and self‐starter. You will have developed good systems thinking skills and are comfortable in operating with ambiguity. Demonstrate pragmatism and common sense in decision making.
- Formal governance and/or company secretarial qualification.
- Experience of working in a large diverse and complex organisation.
- Ability to rapidly gain a good understanding of the Met Office business and its control structures.
- Experience of ISO 9001 and/ or other governance instruments e.g. Annual Statements.
- Experience of strategic communications and business change management
Salary will start at £64,000 with opportunities to progress within the role up to the maximum of £77,000 plus organisational bonus and personal bonus opportunity and highly competitive Civil Service pension.
Relocation assistance may be available.
Additional Supplementary Information
To apply, please click on the link below and attach the most recent version of your CV, along with a cover letter which briefly (no more than two-pages) states your experience against each essential and desirable criteria.
Closing date 28th April 2019 with interviews expected to take place on Thursday 9th May 2019. If you are shortlisted, as part of the interview process you may be required to undertake a work based test / presentation.
Please note that you will be notified if you are successful or unsuccessful.
This role will nominally be based in our Exeter HQ but we will consider applicants wishing to work elsewhere within the UK.
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and therefore requires all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK / EU without restriction. If you are a non–EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.
Due to the nature of the role, this post requires you to gain full security clearance Therefore, in order obtain full clearance you will need to have lived in the UK for 3 years out of the last 5 years.
More searches like this
- Assurance Technology, ICT & Telecoms £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Devon
- Internal Audit Head of Department Technology, ICT & Telecoms £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Devon
- Risk Management Technology, ICT & Telecoms £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Devon
- Corporate Governance & GRC Technology, ICT & Telecoms £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Devon
- Risk Technology, ICT & Telecoms £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Devon