Head of Internal Audit
• Based in a central location in Leeds with excellent benefits package
• Opportunity to shape and develop assurance on the internal controls and risks
About Our Client
West Yorkshire Combined Authority - What we do
We want our region to be recognised globally as a strong, successful economy where everyone can build great businesses, careers and lives.
We bring together local councils and businesses to achieve this vision, so that everyone in our region can benefit from economic prosperity and a modern, accessible transport network.
We have four main areas of focus:
A strong economy - helping businesses to become more productive and create more, better quality jobs for local people
Inclusive growth - ensuring everyone in our region can benefit from this strong economy
21st Century transport - creating modern, efficient transport infrastructure that supports communities, the environment and our economy
Devolution - securing funding and powers to help us do even more
We work closely with the private sector through the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) to ensure that our work meets the needs of employers in the region. We also operate the Metro network of bus stations, travel centres and public transport information in West Yorkshire.
The majority of our work covers the 10 districts of Barnsley, Bradford, Calderdale, Craven, Harrogate, Kirklees, Leeds, Selby, Wakefield and York - an area known collectively as Leeds City Region.
Our work is led by Combined Authority members and the LEP Board.
The Combined Authority's membership is made up of democratically elected councillors from our West Yorkshire partner councils of Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds and Wakefield, plus York and the Chair of the LEP.
The LEP Board brings together business and council leaders to ensure that we deliver services and investment across the full City Region and supports businesses to grow.
As Head of Internal Audit you will work in partnership with the Governance & Audit Committee and Senior Leadership Team and you will shape and develop assurance on the internal control, risk management and corporate governance arrangements.
You will lead and manage a small team carrying out audit assignments across the range of Combined Authority and Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) activities, producing high quality information and reports to a range of stakeholders that will help to drive higher standards of governance, transparency and accountability.
As the Chief Audit Executive for the Combined Authority, you will apply your knowledge of the strategic drivers and risks of the organisation to develop and deliver an annual audit plan, with a focus on providing both assurance and value for money work.
You will develop the internal audit function to enable it to provide objective, high quality assurance, advice and opinion that improves internal control, risk management, corporate governance and counter-fraud arrangements.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate for the role of Head of Internal Audit will need to possess the following skills and experience:
- Accountancy qualified CCAB (ACA / ACCA / CIMA / CIPFA ) accountant or CMIIA with significant practical experience.
- Proven record of delivering the regulatory requirements of the role of Chief Audit Executive in a Local Authority.
- Extensive understanding of Public Sector Internal Auditing Standards and their application.
- Extensive experience of developing and leading on counter-fraud strategies, leading investigations into suspected fraud, bribery and corruption.
- Experience of prioritising, planning and organising workloads to manage expectations and deadlines.
- Experience of managing people including appraisals, performance management, disciplinary, recruitment and selection.
- Experience of fostering a culture of team development through continuous professional development plans and the promotion of professional ethics and codes of conduct.
- Demonstrable experience of managing and championing change successfully.
- Strong communication skills with the proven ability to influence, negotiate and challenge.
- Experience of making compelling business cases/ reports to a range of audiences.
- Extensive experience of managing complex audit reviews and investigations to successful completion.
- Extensive experience of engaging stakeholders to deliver the necessary outcomes.
- Extensive experience of critically analysing business operations and formulating innovative and practical solutions.
- Demonstrable ability of directing and providing advice on complex issues which can be confidential, sensitive and contentious.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully managing budgets.
- Proven experience of confidently and professionally conveying information both written and oral in a clear, concise and persuasive style
- Comprehensive experience of leading, negotiating and influencing stakeholders.
- Experienced in forming and developing effective senior level working relationships with Members, Government and partner organisations to achieve the best outcomes for the organisation.
- Comprehensive experience of providing leadership in a complex public-private sector partnership context.
- Proven experience of confidently and professionally conveying information both written and oral in a clear, concise and persuasive style.
- Demonstrable experience of building productive relationships with senior managers demonstrating independence, objectivity and determination.
- In depth experience of developing and leading on internal control, risk management, corporate governance and counter-fraud measures to successfully support achievement of organisational objectives.
What's on Offer
The salary for the role of Head of Internal Audit is Grade L SP 1-4 £40,113 - £46,446 per annum.
(Please note: It is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments. Incremental increases are applicable in most cases on an annual basis)
Other benefits include:
Free Travel Card - We offer free, annual, countywide travel via the MCard covering all travel within West Yorkshire. This card entitles you to unlimited free travel on buses and trains, achieving significant savings of up to c. £1700 on your travel costs.
Generous Employer Contribution Pension Scheme - We offer membership into the Local Government Pension Scheme which remains one of the most generous schemes around. In addition to your contribution into the scheme, the employer contributes between 14 and 18%. This is a career average salary scheme and your contribution is calculated based upon a percentage of your gross earnings.
Flexible Working - We promote a positive work-life balance to enhance employee wellbeing and to support a diverse and inclusive workforce. We offer a range of flexible working options, dependent on the type of role, and operate a flexitime scheme.
Holidays - We offer 28 days holiday entitlement annually plus Bank Holidays. Holiday entitlement increases to 30 days after 5 year's service, and to 32 days after 10 years. You can also purchase additional holidays through our salary sacrifice scheme.
Learning & Development Opportunities - We offer a range of learning and development opportunities to support you in meeting your career aspirations.
If you are a member of a professional body and this is a requirement of your position, then we will cover the cost of your annual subscription fees.
Health and Wellbeing - We promote health and wellbeing through a number of initiatives including; affordable healthcare plans with Sovereign and Simply Health and a comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme that provides a free and confidential counselling and assistance service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of the year.
Discounted Membership of Gyms and Fitness Clubs - We offer access to two types of corporate membership with Kirklees Active Leisure (KAL) that allow you to access up to 13 gym and fitness sites across Kirklees.
Find out more information about KAL's corporate membership offer here.
Ride to Work Scheme - We offer the opportunity to save up to 42% on bike and equipment purchase through the Ride to Work scheme, which means you pay nothing up front and spread the cost of your new bike and/or kit in equal monthly instalments taken from your salary before tax and National Insurance contributions.
Free Flu Vaccines - We provide an annual flu jab free of charge to all employees.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPCN14017811Z