Director of Risk & Internal Audit
Our client employs over 35,000 staff in the UK and invests over £5bn annually on major capex projects to maintain the business as a market leading brand.
Managing a large team and reporting to the Group Finance Director and Audit Committee Chair, key accountabilities include;
- Provide leadership for the Risk & Assurance portfolio that consists of Internal Audit, SHE Internal Audit, Group Risk and Fraud Departments.
- Overall responsibility delivering key outcomes, managing stakeholder relationships, and budget.
- Provide assurance to the Audit & Risk Committee, SHE Committee, Board, Executive Committee and Business Unit Leaders over the design and effectiveness of internal controls across the business.
- Set the Internal Audit strategy and policy to deliver a comprehensive programme of risk based internal audits to ensure key controls necessary to protect the integrity of transactions for internal and external customers.
- Regular interaction with the external regulators.
- Accountable for fraud and forensics strategy and oversee the company’s Code of Business Ethics to minimise risk and liability and effectively facilitate management decision-making.
- Advise and recommend to Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee, SHE Committee, GFD and other Executive and non-Executive Committee members across the business to achieve a well-controlled organisation to achieve targets.
- Continuously develop, enhance and embed the risk framework for managing risks across the business, ensuring that processes are fit for purpose. Developing the risk competency and capability frameworks.
- Proactively embed positive, confident and informed risk-taking through training, communication and promotion of the agreed risk framework.
- Enable continuous improvement across the organisation by supporting lateral learning events based on audit reports, set up of Business Assurance Committees and ERM deep dives.
This is a key leadership and highly visible role. In order to be successful, it will be necessary for candidates to demonstrate the following critical competencies:
Strategic Thinking: The business is currently under taking a significant internal structural transformation. The successful candidate will have the ability to articulate a strategy for the department that is inline with the internal customers’ requirements and understand the longer-term implications of the changing dynamics of the sector.
Getting Things Done: Be ambitious for themselves and the organisation, action-oriented, able to make decisions and seize opportunities in a timely manner and driven to work resiliently even in challenging circumstances. This person must ensure the business remains a safe and great place to work by instilling a culture of operational excellence, tight business disciplines, fairness and equality and ensure the business continues to operate safely, efficiently and responsibly. The business moves incredibly fast and therefore you need to demonstrate you can be flexible working with any ambiguity that comes with this.
Leadership/Change: The ability to create a high performing, inclusive, and collaborative team that embraces and champions innovation and attracts, develops and retains a ‘best in class’ leadership team and talent pipeline.
Influencing/Communication: The ability to flex style and approach to a variety of different people and situations, establish credentials and authority with the management team, and develop a strong working relationship with key stakeholders including the chair of the Audit Committee.
- Experience of leading and developing audit teams.
- Extensive risk based internal audit experience, including core auditing techniques, risk assessment, testing, analytics, interviewing and reporting.
- Extensive relevant commercial experience, including awareness of industry trends, emerging risks and core business processes.
- Familiarity with standard control frameworks (e.g. COSO) and risk management frameworks.
The preferred candidate is likely to be a qualified accountant with significant experience in an product related industry that is driven by high capex long-term investment projects rather than the service sector. Experience in a regulated industry would also be valuable.
IAC Search Ltd (& Internal Audit Connections Ltd) acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers. By applying for this role you are consenting to our use of your data for the purposes of providing recruitment services. We protect your rights to access, rectify or remove your data in our Data Protection Policy 2018. If you wish to contact us in regards to your data please email us via our profile page by clicking on the IAC logo.