Senior Auditor - London
Grade: Senior Executive Officer
Contract type: Permanent
Business area: GIAA - Government Internal Audit Agency
Working pattern: Flexible working, Full-time, Job share, Part-time
Number of posts: 15
About the Job
This is a significant career opportunity to join a fast paced and growing organisation, using your expertise and knowledge to influence and shape the Agency.
If you are a qualified auditor or accountant with experience and skills in helping customers to understand and manage their risks, along with ensuring exemplary standards of governance, control and assurance issues we would love to hear from you. This is your opportunity to join a highly respected, forward-thinking organisation that builds and maintains strategic relationships at the most senior levels across the majority of government departments. The variety and contribution of these roles is unparalleled across government.
We are looking to recruit from a variety of backgrounds which will improve GIAA’s experience and skills base as the vacancies we have cover a diverse mix of roles across various locations and government departments, from the Ministry of Justice through to the Department of Health, including Executive Agencies and Independent bodies. Senior Auditors in GIAA are responsible for the delivery of audit and assurance activity across a varied and interesting range of customers and topics, either working individually or leading a small team of auditors. You will be allocated a portfolio of work around a core cluster of customers, while also having the opportunity to broaden your experience by working on new topics or with new customers. With access to high profile work, you will work alongside key decision makers, audit specialists and private sector contractors within the Agency, challenging and developing your skills as well as ensuring we meet our customers expectations.
Senior Auditors are the key day to day contacts for our clients and their ability to build good relationships with a variety of stakeholders whilst delivering efficient and robust audit work is key to the success of the Agency’s relationship with our clients. We value all our employees and will offer you support in maintaining and building your professional career through technical training, coaching and development opportunities. In addition, you are entitled to a formidable range of benefits from a generous pension provision, embracing of flexible work patterns, diversity and security.
The roles on offer are audit roles but candidates who hold an accountancy qualification will be considered if they have some experience in dealing with audit.
- Be an effective team member, supporting wider GIAA delivery by working constructively and flexibly with colleagues to deliver appropriate objectives;
- Manage your own time and resource effectively; proactively identify, foresee and take ownership of issues affecting delivery of your and the wider teams objectives and provides solutions and options ahead of deadlines;
- Provide and deliver clear and accurate reports that meet the requirements of the customers and carry out activities to ensure that agreed management actions are completed;
- Be accountable for delivery of a portfolio of audits, working on more than one assignment at once, possible on different clients, to budget and quality expectations, complying with GIAA methodology, using our IT audit software system;
- To scope audit assignments, including drafting terms of reference, testing strategies, fieldwork plans, reporting timetables and focus work on identified risks; single audit methodology and audit management software;
- To work with professional skill and be a trusted adviser to clients, responsible for working level relationships with key contacts
- Actively work with others while sharing expertise and experience, coaching juniors and peers, and helping the Agency develop its professional practice;
- Look to continuously improve your own development and performance and that of the wider team, participating in training and broader corporate activities as required;
- Respond positively to team and departmental changes, being an ambassador for the Agency as it develops;
- Be highly organized, actively monitoring audit deliverables to ensure high quality service, delivered to agreed time quality and resource constraints.
- Be a team player who is able to coach and develop others
You will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy/audit body: Charted Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland, must hold the chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all of the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global, If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application. No other level of internal audit qualifications meet the requirements of this post.
Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA):
You will be required to write a 750 word statement setting out how your skills and experience mes the requirements of the person specification. Please attach your CV to your application form as this will be considered:
- Be able to demonstrate strong understanding of governance, risk management, control and assurance issues
- Be a strong, analytical thinker who can solve problems and work out what needs to be done and take pride in bringing to conclusion
- Have strong writing skills and be able to communicate key messages clearly and succinctly to senior leaders, utilising a range of communication methods
- Be an effective communicator, possessing excellent interpersonal skills which enable you to relate to people at all levels in an organisation demonstrated by experience of working collaboratively with a wide range of business and corporate stakeholders
- Have the ability to influence using evidence and negotiation rather than the exercise of authority
- Demonstrate resilience and tact in the face of challenging circumstances, dealing with conflict in a prompt, calm and constructive manner
- Be highly organised, with the ability to work on and manage multiple projects within tight deadlines and minimal supervision
- Be able to develop proposals to improve the quality of service involving a diverse range of staff, stakeholders or delivery partners
- Experience of collecting and providing accurate, unbiased, relevant and sufficient information to support conclusions
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- A civil service pension
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours.
To apply for this post, you will need to submit your personal details, CV and provide a statement of suitability no more than 750 words referring to the Person Specification.
Please click the 'Apply' button below for further information and to begin your application.
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available via the 'Apply' button below.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
More searches like this
- Audit Consultant Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Business / Corporate Auditor Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- External Audit Senior Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)
- Internal Audit Senior Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in London (Greater)