Senior Internal Auditor - Legal & Regulatory Risk
This is a challenging opportunity that offers the rare combination of both demonstrable career progression in a FTSE environment and also work-life balance
This diverse and innovative FTSE energy group has a wide range of operations in their core sector and a number of related businesses including leading consumer centred businesses and innovative technology products and so offers a changing and challenging place to develop your career. With a high profile, consumer business they operate in an interesting dynamic which creates reputational and political risks as well as regulatory, very wide ranging operational risks as well as financial, trading and market risks. There is a great culture of openness, collaboration, honesty and integrity and they are passionate about looking after their people and have a policy of continued development and promotion from within. However, this career potential does not come at the expense of your life outside work, the team rarely work beyond 6pm and there is support for home-working.
The audit function is highly regarded internally and is not only proud to be perceived as a great talent pool from which the rest of the business looks to hire; but also recruits internally from the rest of the business because audit is very much viewed as a career enhancing move. Being part of the audit team offers an impressive exposure right across the business and a huge breadth of work - primarily risk-based operational reviews, but also some includes project audits and some more unusual “thematic” reviews. Recent audits have included consumer digital technologies, joint ventures, high value asset management, acquisitions, billing and even “culture” and “management behaviour” As part of the audit team you will gain a massive variety of exposure right across the business and. Career progression can be within the 40 strong audit function but typically people in the team will progress internally into a finance, risk or operational role with 2-3 years.
The business is currently seeking an Senior Internal Auditor with experience of auditing legal, regulatory and compliance risks to strengthen the their technical expertise in this complex area. Reporting to Manger/Director level, you will primarily be responsible for the planning and delivery management of a range of audits centred on the areas of the business where legal and regulatory risks are key but will also gain exposure to areas such as procurement, HR and change and transformation programmes.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with business stakeholders and assurance functions to gain an understanding of the regulatory risk profile of the business and delivering audits to cover those key risks
- Taking rotational responsibility for leading reviews including managing the activity of others on specific audit assignments and departmental initiatives
- Delivery of a wide range of operational and regulatory audits working within a team and with wider subject matter experts
- Identifying gaps in controls and potential implications for discussion within the Internal Audit team and wider stakeholders
- Managing the development of positive stakeholder relationships and the delivery of quality audit reports
As the ideal candidate, you will:
- Be of degree calibre and ideally hold a relevant post-graduation qualification in audit/risk or accountancy with a strong academic track record
- Have at least 4 years of experience in a governance role (ie audit, risk or compliance) with demonstrable experience of legal/regulatory/compliance risks within an energy, telco, utilities, insurance, FS or similarly regulated environment
- Have the flexibility to travel for c10% of the time – primarily in the UK and US
- Have a robust and independent mind set with the confidence to raise issues appropriately
- Be keen to develop your knowledge of auditing, risk management and controls primarily around Legal, Regulatory & Compliance risks
- Be a strong team player with the project management skills to be able to deliver to a deadline
On offer is a a basic salary of up to £60,000 plus bonus (typically around 12% but up to 24%), 2x pension contributions, PMI and flexi bens. Please note that you must be entitled to work in the UK without the requirement for sponsorship of a visa to be considered for this opportunity.