Management Accountant ,Edinburgh
A Fantastic opportunity has arisen with a Public sector body who are going through a period of exciting transformation and are directly working with the Scottish government on future and current projects. As Management Accountant you will be responsible for the production and reporting of the monthly financial position and for providing an accurate monthly forecast annual outturn position for all budget areas to inform operational and strategic decision making. The post holder will lead the annual and quarterly budgetary cycles and subsequent Scottish Government budget revisions, working with budget holders to identify cost pressures and areas for improvement.
The Management Accountant responsibilities will include:
- Manage the month end accounting and reporting process and work with the management accounts team and transaction teams and other units/sections to deliver accurate financial reporting information in line with agreed timelines.
- To lead the production of the monthly management accounts and investigate and report on significant budgetary variances, advising on the necessary remedial action and monitoring the implementation of these actions, supporting the financial management of functions and projects.
- Manage the annual and quarterly budget process including the production of key data and financial analysis in line with agreed timetable. Maintain the organisation's budgeting and forecasting information, updating and tracking any changes as required and ensuring that all funding requirements have been accurately and comprehensively recorded, obtaining sign off as appropriate.
- Support senior managers and budget holders by providing specialist advice on key strategic financial management issues including capital accounting, VAT compliance, budgeting and forecast outturns, financial planning and risk management.
- Responsible for capital accounting in accordance with the relevant IFRS accounting standards, policies and procedures. Liaising with business partners to ensure accurate profiling of capital budgets, valuations, impairment review and balance sheets classification.
- Collate, analyse, and present appropriate financial data for information and decision-making purposes as required e.g. Pay Remit, VAT returns, unit costing, Freedom of Information requests, Scottish Government returns.
- Undertake investment appraisal as required.
- Support the preparation and delivery of the year end accounts and provision of supplementary accounting information.
- The role may have some line management responsibilities so the post holder may need to manage, support, and develop a small team.
The successful candidate will have:-
- Ideally have previous experience in a senior finance role within public sector providing effective professional advice.
- Experience of managing a team, with the ability to communicate complex issues simply and effectively to a range of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate the strategic implications of complex financial issues
- Strong analytical skills - able to provide constructive challenge, identify opportunities for improving and streamlining processes, and encouraging colleagues to think innovatively in order to make improvements.
- Demonstrates a commercial, financial and sustainable mind set to ensure all activities and services deliver added value. Works collaboratively to ensure the delivery of strategic outcomes within the resources available.
- Delivering a quality service Ability to work across teams, planning and driving forward longer term work whilst managing shorter term demands to deliver to deadlines, and leading teams to deliver high quality outputs under pressure.
- Adaptable and willing to review role and priorities to meet the current and future needs of the organisation. Demonstrable ability to think strategically about financial management issues.
- Membership of a CCAB professional body (or equivalent).
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Word
In return our client will reward you with a competitive salary in a supportive and innovative work environment.
Apply by sending your CV to John Agnew via the form below.
FPSG is committed to equal opportunities regardless of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief and age.
We are Disability Confident and neurodiverse aware. If you have a disability, please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to assist you in your application or with your recruitment process