Financial Accountant , Edinburgh
A Fantastic opportunity has arisen with a Public sector body who are going through a period of exciting transformation and are directly working with the Scottish government on future and current projects.
As Financial Accountant you will be responsible for the production of the annual report and accounts and capital accounting framework including maintenance/verification of the fixed asset register and managing the year-end financial outturn position. The post holder will lead the annual accounts task, working with other finance team colleagues and budget holders to identify and manage late spend, accruals and prepayments and address areas for improvement.
The Financial Accountant responsibilities will include:
- Manage the preparation and delivery of the year end statutory annual accounts ensuring compliance with best practise and current IFRS, FReM, HMT Consolidated Budgeting Guidance and SPFM requirements.
- Production and upkeep of annual accounts framework to ensure compliance with all accounting requirements and legislation.
- Provide technical financial expertise to finance and the wider organisation in line with best practice and all current IFRS, FReM and SPFM requirements.
- Review accounting policies and make recommendations to senior management on changes to accounting policies and process change requirements to align with best practice and current IFRS, FReM and SPFM requirements.
- Interface with External Audit and internal business areas as required.
- Support senior managers and budget holders by providing specialist advice on key strategic financial management issues
- Collaborate with Senior management to produce timely and relevant monthly financial and management reports to the EMT, ARC, Board and the Scottish Government.
- Be a key point of contact for the finance team, providing support and guidance on financial management including budgeting and forecasting.
- Ensure finance guidance documents are accurate, up to date and are in line with best practice.
The successful candidate will have:-
- Ideally have previous experience in a senior finance role within public sector providing effective professional advice.
- Experience of managing a team, with the ability to communicate complex issues simply and effectively to a range of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to communicate the strategic implications of complex financial issues
- Strong analytical skills - able to provide constructive challenge, identify opportunities for improving and streamlining processes, and encouraging colleagues to think innovatively in order to make improvements.
- Demonstrates a commercial, financial and sustainable mind set to ensure all activities and services deliver added value. Works collaboratively to ensure the delivery of strategic outcomes within the resources available.
- Delivering a quality service Ability to work across teams, planning and driving forward longer term work whilst managing shorter term demands to deliver to deadlines, and leading teams to deliver high quality outputs under pressure.
- Adaptable and willing to review role and priorities to meet the current and future needs of the organisation. Demonstrable ability to think strategically about financial management issues.
- Membership of a CCAB professional body (or equivalent).
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and Word
In return our client will reward you with a competitive salary in a supportive and innovative work environment.
Apply by sending our CV to John Agnew via the form below.
We are Disability Confident and neurodiverse aware. If you have a disability, please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to assist you in your application or with your recruitment process