KPMG in the UK is part of a global network of firms. Our 16,000 people, based in any one of our 24 UK offices, use their expertise and talents to build businesses and support growth.
Our client base is from a wide range of business sectors, ranging in size from owner-managed businesses to multi-national organisations. As an Audit Manager you will get to work with a wide range of clients within a cross functional office. Many of our clients have overseas operations or are subsidiaries of overseas companies giving our work a truly international perspective. This opportunity can be based in either Glasgow, Aberdeen or Edinburgh.
Role and Responsibilities
Manage and deliver audit engagements from planning through to completion. The role will require proficiency in IFRS, UK GAAP and US GAAP (not essential). You will have your own portfolio of clients with responsibility for agreeing audit timetables, briefing the audit team, including other specialists, monitoring budgets and supervising the KPMG audit process. This will include:
- To manage engagements, overseeing in-charge and audit assistants work ensuring compliance with client, statutory and KPMG Audit Methodology requirements, appreciating relevant internal and external market factors, ensuring the effective and timely delivery of engagements
- Oversee and direct the budgeting, planning, co-ordination and control of engagements in accordance with client, statutory, KPMG Audit Methodology and business requirements to ensure effective service delivery and maximised recoverability
- Direct, coach and mentor Assistant Managers to assist them in the effective delivery of engagements and the direction of their subordinates ensuring cost effective, timely completion and effective service delivery to the required standard on each engagement
- Nurture and seek worthwhile relationships with clients, business departments and staff, for the sharing of information and to identify and progress current and future Audit requirements
- Prepare and negotiate fee proposals for our existing client base, and assist in forming propositions for new business.
- Contributes towards the creation, implementation and delivery of the Audit Business Plan and offer support in relation to issues identified as a result of organisational or client focus change
- Assist the Senior Managers, Directors and Partners in monitoring the effectiveness of Audit services delivered, providing feedback and reflection on the quality of service accordingly
- Preparation of reports to senior management and audit committees
Experience and Background
- Leadership skills and ability to act as a role model
- Drive and resilience and ability to thrive in a pressured environment
- Knowledge and experience of auditing and experience of systems/controls testing as well as substantive auditing, including consolidations, group audit, review of statutory accounts and disclosures
- Sound working knowledge of IFRS, UK GAAP (not essential) and US GAAP (not essential)
- Well-developed supervisory skills e.g. coaching and motivation
- Strong project management techniques including decision-making ability, analytical skills, time management, organisation and evaluative skills.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, both verbal and written
- IT literacy with sound knowledge and experience of Excel/Word
- Proven research skills e.g. information seeking and knowledge sharing, understanding and interpreting information/applying knowledge
- Able to demonstrate strong business development acumen
Qualifications and Skills
- Time and Exam Qualified Accountant - ACA, ACCA or equivalent
- Significant and recent experience as an Audit Manager in an external audit capacity, working with large, complex clients from a variety of corporate industry sectors
- Current accounting and financial reporting standards including IFRS and GAAP standar