Corporation Tax Specialist - Life Insurance
It’s a very exciting time to join HMRC!
HMRC is the UK’s tax, payments and customs authority, we have a vital purpose, and we collect the money that pays for public services and help families and individuals with targeted financial support.
Large Business (LB) is responsible for over 2,000 of the largest businesses that pay a significant proportion of the total business taxes and duties that HMRC collects. Each business has a Customer Compliance Manager (CCM) who is responsible for managing the overall relationship with the customer and all aspects of the customer’s tax affairs. Within this the CT Compliance team has a customer facing role with a significant emphasis on customer compliance.
Tax Professionals work as members of one or more teams that are usually multi-discipline, dealing with highly complex tax affairs of major UK and International businesses, employers, individuals and public bodies, concentrating mainly on issues with either substantial amounts of tax at risk or requiring a detailed understanding and application of theoretical principles of taxation legislation.
This role will focus on the taxation of insurance companies and in particular Life Insurance companies.
You will take the lead in examining Insurance Company returns, accounts, computations and other documents sharing and discussing appraised risk with the customer.
You will use your knowledge of the sector to upskill colleagues and actively contribute to the improvement of compliance strategy and processes.
- Provide key technical input into the risk identification / working of Large Business customers in the Insurance sector where specific and complex tax legislation applies.
- Support Insurance Sector lead where they will represent the region at both internal and external meetings.
- Focus on upskilling others through sharing their knowledge of the Insurance sector across all tax regimes at sector and regime forums and through other training events.
- Provide leadership within the Insurance community ensuring information is shared across the SNI Region and also play a key role in providing technical leadership for the regional CT community.
- Form and become a member of or lead ad hoc teams set up for projects across the sector.
- Work with Policy to help ensure the legislative environment effectively delivers for our compliance strategy and objectives.
- Carry out quality compliance checks, establishing facts, using an investigative approach.
- Provide technical and mentoring support to others on Insurance, in particular Life Tax.
- Experience of working in the Insurance Sector as a Tax Professional
- Evidence of knowledge of Life Insurance Taxation
As this is a tax professional role, candidates must have passed one of the following:
- TSP or predecessor qualification (TPDP, IDP, ITS2, CPT FT2 or external equivalent, such as CTA (ATII), AIIT with paper(iv), CCAB (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) along with experience of direct tax compliance work.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Life Insurance taxation to be assessed at interview, in the form of a presentation (further details will be provided following initial sift)