This opportunity is for an experienced Risk Manager to lead the Risk Management team at StepChange Debt Charity in Leeds. With a focus on ensuring that the embedded risk management framework is utilised effectively by the 1st line, you will provide leadership, oversight, guidance and challenge on the identification, control and effective management of risk. You will be responsible for ensuring a control framework exists that demonstrates whether these risks are managed within risk appetite, and in accordance with regulatory expectations.
What you will be doing
- Overall responsibility for maintaining the charity’s risk management framework, policies, processes and systems to ensure effective risk oversight that meets regulatory requirements. This includes the roll-out of control self-assessment.
- Work with the charity and its subsidiaries to embed a risk culture and risk management practices that are focused on helping the charity to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Oversee an effective framework for the identification, management and resolution of risk events reported across the organisation, working with key stakeholders on the highest priority risk events.
- Provide guidance on all aspects of risk management and categories of risk, assessing emerging internal and external threats and opportunities.
- Monitor risk information provided from risk and control data and from business areas, challenging the adequacy and completeness of the information generated, driving recommendations for improvement and obtaining management agreement to their implementation.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the charity and its group entities.
- Where appropriate, and in coordination with the Director of Risk & Compliance; builds and maintains relationships with third parties, including regulators, suppliers and professional bodies.
- Lead, motivate and develop the capability of the team to achieve delivery of the team plan.
What we want from you
- Degree educated or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Relevant risk management qualification (IRM or equivalent) and/or significant experience of risk management techniques (operational, business continuity, conduct, strategic etc)
- Highly developed stakeholder management expertise
- Knowledge of financial services and more specifically debt management sector (desirable)
- Proven leadership skills with results orientation
- Commercial business focus
- Highly motivated with integrity
- Effective in challenging views and opinions
- Highly organised, pragmatic and analytical
What we offer you
- 24 days annual leave (this increases by one day per year up to a maximum of 29), plus bank holidays
- Hybrid work – the ability to work from home and from our new offices
- An individually tailored personal development plan and ongoing training
- The opportunity to buy and sell annual leave
- Use of a Charity laptop and headset for working from home
- Travel season ticket loans
- Discounted car parking
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Group personal pension scheme
- Westfield Health cash plan
- Employee assistance programme
- Financial planning
- Long service awards
- Free tea and coffee in the office
StepChange are the UK’s largest and most comprehensive provider of free debt advice. Hundreds of thousands of people come to us for help every year. Some are at crisis point and many don't see a way out. We help them to find a way out of their debt problems. We don't judge people; we provide the support, guidance and solutions that are needed. Whatever the situation we'll look for practical solutions that make our clients' lives better.