Lead Finance Specialist
Summary At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
This is an exciting time to join HMRC as we continue our journey to become one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world. To achieve our ambition, we are investing in ground-breaking initiatives and programmes to transform our tax systems, building a dynamic organisation with a culture that focuses on and significantly invests in the continual development of our people.
The role is based in Corporate Finance, and will play a key part of HMRC’s transformation, responsible for leading fast-paced teams focussed on ensuring that programmes are delivering fit for purpose solutions that meet our high accounting, control, and process standards!
This is a key leadership role with the opportunity to engage and promote HMRC Financial and Control standards and requirements across HMRC Transformation. The role offers a variety and breadth of responsibilities working in second line of defence to provide assurance to the Chief Finance Officer. You will achieve this by:
- Leading the assurance of ground-breaking change to ensure it is delivered in line with departmental standards and strategies and provides effective financial management and control.
- Setting a clear vision for the Financial accreditation assurance process in line with the HMRC change framework
- Inspire the continued development of a high performing team, building Financial Accreditation capability, and ensuring clear direction across the team
- Developing and maintaining relationships with change senior leads on a portfolio of programmes across HMRC
- Influencing senior partners in decision making and design/processes for change. Ensuring they align to set standards, providing constructive challenge to change leads where they do not
- Ensuring robust audit trails are maintained to enable response to the National Audit Office or Internal Audit Office enquiries
- Liaise closely with all Finance Subject Matter Specialists ensuring they are aware of change that will impact on the financial processes or delivery of the HMRC accounts
- Providing technical advice and decision making to complex accounting and control solutions
- Become a proactive and engaged member of change Boards including deputising for the Finance Operations Director and the Systems and Processes Deputy Director at Programme and other decision-making boards
- Protect the accuracy and completeness of the department’s accounts by ensuring all financial requirements and strategies are known, understood and efficiently delivered by change leads.
- The successful candidate will be working directly to the Systems and Processes Deputy Director
- You will lead a team of 3 senior leaders (G7’s) with direct and indirect management of up to 30 staff across multi locations. (some travel across the UK will be required).
- You will work in collaboration with your G6 counterpart, who will have similar responsibilities, to build a single team ethos
This high-profile leadership role will:
- Provide an outstanding opportunity to engage with and inspire change across all the business areas in HMRC
- Give you responsibility for ensuring programmes and projects receive specialist advice and support and providing assurance that changes meet our current and future needs
- Empower you to use your talents to lead and set strategic vision for a growing financial accreditation team
In addition, this role provides an outstanding chance to further develop key leadership, assurance and collaboration skills.
You will have to remain in this role for a minimum of two years before considering a move within the same grade or to a different business area.
About Corporate Finance
Corporate Finance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. This is a unique assurance role that ensures HMRC change is being delivered effectively enabling HMRC to account, receive and pay out money in a controlled and accurate way.
Our vacancy sits in the Financial Accreditation (FA) Team, which forms part of Finance Operations. Our team plays a key role in HMRC Transformation by ensuring excellent financial management and control throughout the HMRC Change process by accrediting changes to financial systems and processes.
To be successful in this role you'll be a confident leader with a proven track record of leading and developing successful teams.
You will come from a finance professional background and have excellent communication, influencing, and collaboration skills as well as technical accounting and partner leadership skills. You'll be able to develop technical knowledge of all finance and tax systems and processes. In addition, you will need to develop a good understanding of HMRC strategic directions and Transformation objectives.
- Qualified Accountant with a recognised body such as CIPFA, CIMA etc
- Experience of leadership, and leading and developing high performing teams in a large and complex organisation
- Experience and knowledge of risk and control management in a complex financial systems and processes assurance environment
- Strong communication, influencing, stakeholder and relationship-building skills
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely
- Ability to analyse and consider information, summarise and use good judgement to support decisions and advice given
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and conflicting priorities from multiple sources (including wider organisational goals)
- Audit skills/qualifications
- Project Management skills /qualifications
- Knowledge of HMRCs transformation agenda
- Knowledge of SAP functionality Qualifications CCAB - Qualified Accountant
- earning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
More searches like this
- Advisory Public Sector £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Assurance Public Sector £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Compliance Public Sector £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Internal Audit Senior Manager Public Sector £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in London (Central)
- Compliance & Regulation Public Sector £80,000 - £89,999 jobs in London (Central)