Head of Data Assurance
We are the independent regulator of higher education in England.
We aim to ensure that every student, whatever their background, has a fulfilling experience of higher education that enriches their lives and careers. We also care about supporting and developing our staff, working together to achieve more than each of us can do alone.
We’re proud of our people, our culture and the benefits we offer. At the OfS we want to create a welcoming and engaging working environment which is free from discrimination. We particularly welcome applications from people with a disability or impairment, those who identify as lesbian, bisexual, gay or transgender, and those from a black, Asian and minority ethnic background, as these groups are under-represented within our workforce.
We’re looking for skilled, committed people who care about students and their experience of higher education. Join us and you’ll be part of an energetic, forward-looking organisation with high ambitions and big opportunities for our people.
The Data, Foresight and Analysis Directorate provides data and analytical support for the OfS. It supports a wide range of data collection, analysis and research activities. You can read more about our work on the Office for Students’ website, under Data and analysis.
The purpose of the role ‘Head of Data Assurance’ is to:
- Provide a clear and focused data assurance programme covering the range of OfS data use and that future risks to the quality of data provided by registered providers are anticipated and monitored
- Review the effectiveness of existing data assurance approaches and develop novel approaches to assurance as required
- Robustly investigate and defend data assurance challenges and minimise OfS data assurance risk.
Candidates will bring extensive experience in data assurance and/or audit and the ability to develop and deliver an annual data assurance programme. Candidates will have sound judgement and be able to adapt and create novel approaches to assurance activity. Candidates will be strong leaders and collaborators with the ability to manage a small team and their workload. Comfortable with ambiguity and personally resilient, candidates will be adept at communicating complex assurance issues effectively and building strong relationships inside and outside the organisation.
The key person attributes to fulfil this role are:
- Excellent leadership skills
- An ability to lead a small team of data assurance experts that will provide assurance over the data used to inform regulatory interventions, building knowledge and expertise in the team to ensure value added and not ‘tick box’ data assurance work
- Excellent judgement to provide advice to the compliance and student protection directorate about the extent to which providers are meeting conditions of registration F3 (Provision of information to the OfS) and F4 (Provision of information to the designated data body) of the regulatory framework for higher education in England.
- An ability to build effective professional relationships internally and externally, with providers and sector bodies as appropriate
- An ability to work with uncertainty and a willingness to change and adapt with changing priorities
- Innovative with confidence to try new approaches to activities, and an ability to reflect, learn and develop from these
- An ability to build effective quality assurance processes into the team’s work
- An acute attention to detail balanced with a ‘big picture’ awareness
Candidates must bring:
- Extensive experience in data assurance/audit
- Experience in identifying risk
- The ability to motivate and lead a high performing team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The capability to engage with internal and external stakeholders.
If you have any questions please contact Becki Witts, Business Support Manager, 0117 931 7015.
Working for us
The OfS regulates the higher education sector on behalf of all students. We value diversity and the wealth of perspectives, experience and ideas that it brings to our work, and we strive to embed equality of opportunity in everything we do.
We recruit based on fair and open competition and welcome applications from candidates regardless of age, disability, race and ethnicity, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation and socio-economic background. To attract the widest possible field of qualified applicants, flexible working, for example job share and part time working, apply to this role.
Closing date for applications: 28 November 2021
Interviews: 9, 10 or 13 December 2021
More searches like this
- Assurance Public Sector £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Internal Audit Head of Department Public Sector £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Internal Audit Senior Manager Public Sector £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Analytics Public Sector £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Analytics Public Sector £60,000 - £69,999 jobs in United Kingdom