Senior Data Engineer (ETL Virtualisation)
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
Data Platform Services (DPS) within the Chief Digital and Information Officer group (CDIO) function designs, builds and operates the data foundations for all of HMRC's services at a size and scale larger than most other organisations.
DPS is leading a major transformation programme encompassing technology, capabilities and data services whilst continuing to deliver high quality and robust services to our internal and external customers.
There is an exciting opportunity to join a growing and fast paced delivery team within HMRC's Data Platform Service Delivery Group as a Senior Data Engineer.
The Data Platform Services Group is building an engineering capability to help run, maintain, and evolve its strategic Data Analytics platforms and services.
The Senior Data Engineer will take part in delivering, supporting, and maintaining the Delivery Group's technical platforms. Specialist areas may include ETL, Data Management, Data Lake, Data Warehousing, Data virtualisation, advanced analytics, and AI. A proven track record in technical abilities, an enthusiasm in technology trends, a proactive approach to work, and real teamwork ethos are key aspects we're looking for in candidates. You will receive on-going training opportunities tailored to your role.
DPS' operating model is based on coordinating around several data capabilities such as data acquisition, searching and risking. Each delivered and run by a dedicated product-oriented delivery (POD) team.
Your role will be cross cutting touching all parts of the Group including Business Operations, Core Product Engineering and Intelligence Product Engineering, working with external teams such as estates and Cyber Security Information & Risk. You will engage with contractors and third-party suppliers designing, building and running industry leading data services on behalf of the department.
We focus on our people, so we have a dedicated Data Academy supporting personal development and creating defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable. We support our team members in managing their own work/life balance and we have a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
Do you have solid knowledge and experience in one (or more) of the following skill areas:
- Implementing and supporting a range of data management solutions, covering data modelling, ETL/ELT.
- Data quality, ingestion, and transformation tools, preferably some or all of the following: Pentaho Data Integrator, Talend data fabric.
- Data virtualization, preferably Denodo.
Supporting Knowledge and Experience in two of the following areas:
- Solid experience managing and supporting data analytics platforms, tools, ingestion, and transformation solutions.
- Experience scheduling, running, monitoring, and fixing data flows both batch and real time.
- Knowledge of security approaches and tools, e.g., encryption.
- A clear understanding of Agile and Continuous Integration environments.
- Knowledge of configuration management approaches and practices.
- Experience using source control technologies such as GIT.
- Cloud native tools in AWS or Azure.
- A background working in Cloud (AWS/Azure)
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
This role maps to the cross-government framework for the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT). For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/digital-data-and-technology-profession-capability-framework
- As part of the Engineering team, you will have a part to play in the running, maintenance and evolution of the Delivery Group's strategic Data Analytics products, platforms and services.
- Support agile project delivery. Providing technical support and guidance to others.
- Design, build and administer key components of our analytics platforms, including monitoring, alerting, capacity management, investigation, and lead in the resolution of technical issues.
- This role may require you to manage a number of internal staff and/or contractors.
- Support a range of data exploitation tools.
- Implement preventative and corrective maintenance activities on platforms, tools, and data flows.
- Provide batch monitoring and support for complex critical 24x7 services
- This role may provide the opportunity for the successful candidate to provide support outside of normal working hours and take part in On Call rotas.
- Use a wide range of collaboration and working aid tools such as TEAMS, Confluence and JIRA.
- Limited travel may also be required as part of this role to work in a geographically distributed Delivery structure.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 29th November 2021