Senior Enterprise Architect - Data & Data Analytics
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role
HMRC is building a modern, digital tax administration and runs the biggest digital operation in Government, providing digital services for 45 million individuals and 4.9 million business customers. Our digital programme is multi-award winning and the envy of other government organisations.
This is an exciting opportunity to join HMRC's Enterprise Architecture team as we embark on a huge programme of work to transform our current IT landscape to deliver class leading, cutting edge services for HMRC and the UK.
Data and Analytics is at the heart of everything we do at HMRC. Working in the Data Analytics Platform team you will play a key role in developing HMRC's Analytic platform strategy. Championing the adoption of modern technology, whilst pushing HMRC's hugely complex IT estate towards a smaller set of strategic systems.
You will also be responsible for ensuring alignment with business strategies and requirements, managing and influencing senior stakeholders both within HMRC and wider UK government.
The role is also plays a major part in supporting HMRC's IT governance process. As a subject matter expert, you will offer advice and guidance to solution architects to ensure designs conform to HMRC's IT strategy. Taking a strategic view across all architectural domains, portfolios and programmes you to guide the organisation to make accurate technology decisions, promoting reuse, sustainability and scalability to achieve value for money.
As part of the Enterprise Architecture team you will engage at a strategic level, influencing policy, and setting direction for technical and business change. You will also play a key role in ensuring that HMRC develops and maintains a strong IT Architecture capability.
As a member of the Data Analytics Platform team this role is specifically responsible for the strategy and architecture of:
- Enterprise reporting, analytics, AI/ML end user tooling including technology roadmaps and product selection.
- Data pipelines including data acquisition, ingestion, transformation, quality and matching.
- Data storage including technology roadmaps, product selection and compliance.
You will need to demonstrate within your application the following essential skills and experience:
- A broad IT and Enterprise Architecture (EA) background, with experience in architecting enterprise scale applications or architecture roles where you will have gained experience of large-scale data platform deployments
- The ability to develop, detail and establish architectural principles, policies, standards, roadmaps and reference architectures
- Experience in assuring technology decisions are aligned to EA strategy
- Ability to carry out horizon scanning across industry, identifying advances in technology, emerging trends and their potential impact on the organisation
- The ability to simplify complex and technical information by using appropriate and accessible language for non-technical audiences
- Capable of guiding the decision-making process, explaining trade-offs and making a recommendation based on all the available information
- The ability to look beyond the immediate problem and identify the wider implications across the enterprise
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Understand and contribute to discussions about commercial contracts, procurement and sourcing strategies
- Experience of designing data platforms systems for operational and analytical systems including Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence.
- Either have or work to achieve professional IT qualifications such as TOGAF or CITP
Demonstrable knowledge and experience in one of the following is essential:
- Data Lifecycle, Standards & Tools
- One or more of the following RDBMS platforms (e.g. Oracle, Mysql MSSql)
- Data transformation and metadata management tools (e.g. Talend, informatica etc.)
- Analytical data exploitation tools (e.g. Sas, PowerBI, Pentaho).
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities to enable Customer Insights & Segmentation, Behavioural analytics
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 21st December 2021