Principal Data Analyst
Locations: Belfast, Birmingham, Bootle, Croydon, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Stratford
Salary: National: £52,077 - £58,707, London: £58,596 - £66,051
At HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) we make sure money is available to fund the UK's vital public services and assist people with targeted financial support.
We are committed to creating a great place to work for all in an inclusive and respectful environment. Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success in Data Analytics and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role
About Customer Compliance Group and Risk & Intelligence Service
HMRC's Customer Compliance Group (CCG) plays a pivotal role in improving the collection of the correct amount of money due from UK taxpayers, investigating breaches and offences against the tax system, and acting to identify and mitigate potential threats.
The Risk & Intelligence Service (RIS) is the heart of HMRC's compliance activity and drives both data and intelligence-driven identification of non-compliance.
Your role will be in one of two teams that use data to deepen our understanding of how to ensure the right tax is paid, working with some of the most complex and comprehensive data-sets in the country.
Compliance Operational Insight & Risking (COIR) lead on the design and delivery of high-risk taxpayer profiles and risk packages to meet the needs of our internal customers across HMRC.
The successful candidate will join our Insight & Exploitation Team (I&E) which forms one of the key business areas in COIR.
The team have been critical to work across the COVID-19 Support Schemes in HMRC and have a consistent track record in facilitating data-led compliance through the provision of insight to advise decision-making at strategic, tactical and operational levels.
The Data Analytics Team (DAT) forms part of the Analysis function within RIS. DAT provides analytical expertise to policy and compliance partners across multiple business areas. We interrogate complex data to first understand it, and then to provide insight on compliance risks and shape new compliance capability.
DAT provides data-driven insight to decision makers at all levels through innovation to provide new ways to identify, understand and intervene to treat compliance risk.
Working alongside Software Engineering team (SET) and Bulk Data Exploitation Capability (BDEC), DAT is a collaborative and friendly team with shared core values as an inclusive workplace.
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
As a Principal Data Analyst in RIS, you will lead and support projects that will deliver and continuously improve three key areas:
1. Specialist Data Insight & Exploitation - Continuing to develop a rich data insight for partners, challenging current methods and conveying the art of the possible. You will work across HMRC to deliver clear, quantifiable outcomes through data exploitation.
2. Deployment of New Analytical Methods - Crafting and developing new analytical methods to support advancements in risk-targeting, population insight, and the utilisation of new sources of data and intelligence. You will support our ambition to redefining our approach to evaluation through data and build capabilities across the team
3. Analytical Technology - Understand requirements and engage with projects to protect and improve the technology which allows us to deliver an efficient tax risk-assessment service for HMRC.
As a Principal Data Analyst you will play a key role in the way we operate across the entire business area. Within your role you will:
- Explore a wide set of opportunities to innovate; evaluating options, impacts, risks and solutions to provide clear problem definitions and inspiring exploitation of new data, technology and tools.
- Identify areas of work that stand to be improved through the use of analytical, statistical and advanced modelling techniques.
- Ensure sound working practices which lead to robust, replicable and resilient outputs.
- Build capability and work with analysts to identify key areas for development.
- Ensure that we remain in step with fast-developing standards and best practices in the Data Science field.
- Articulate and present the outcome of your work to Senior Leaders, building effective relationships to understand and define user needs for delivery and working to agile principles.
- Develop capability and integrity across the data analyst community and challenge current methods of delivery and providing a different perspective.
Skills and Qualifications Required
- Significant experience and technical ability in the field of Data Analytics and/or Data Science.
- Demonstrable experience in leading the delivery of projects and project teams using recognised project methodologies.
- Proven communication and customer engagement skills, presenting either conclusions/analytical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Member of one of the Analytical Professions (such as DDaT, GES, GSR or GORS) or Statistical Community (such as GSS, GSG).
- Experience of accountable development and deployment of statistical models to deliver operational, tactical and strategic outcomes.
- Experience in a statistical programming language - for example, SAS, SQL, R or the Python Data Science libraries.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Use of Statistical Modelling, Programming Languages, and Familiarity with Analytical Software and Tools - Data Insight / Data Visualisation.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- A Civil Service pension with a highly competitive contributory scheme.
- 25 days annual leave in your first year, which will increase by one day for each year's qualifying service up to a maximum of 30 days.
- Additional one days paid leave commemorating the Queen's Birthday.
- Generous paid maternity / paternity leave (notably higher than the statutory minimum).
- Tax-Free Childcare (TFC) scheme.
- Interest-free loans allowing you to spread the cost of an annual travel season ticket or a new bicycle.
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 8th December 2021