Senior Internal Auditor
Helping our customers make the right financial choices as they plan for a better future means that we need to attract, retain and motivate the very best people in the market. We know great people have even great choices when it comes to their career. At Phoenix Group we can offer you a career opportunity second to none with a successful, innovative and growing long term savings and retirement business. Our people are our most important asset.
As one of the UK’s Top Employers we’ve brought together businesses with long, successful histories and many strengths. More than ever, people need help and guidance from a company which is simple to deal and who they trust. And that’s where you come in!
We’re currently recruiting for a Senior Internal Auditor to join our Group Internal Audit function to take ownership and deliver a complex and challenging portfolio of audits.
As Senior Internal Auditor you’ll provide independent risk-based assurance over the effectiveness of risk management, internal control and governance processes of the Group. This will be achieved by taking responsibility for end-to-end planning, fieldwork and reporting of audit assignments to time and quality. You’ll also have the opportunity to work on high profile audit engagements and influence senior stakeholders. Our team have a strong focus on empowerment and personal development with an audit approach that is underpinned by a strong relationship management model, which aims to build influential trusted adviser relationships.
The Group Internal Audit function is valued by the boards and executive management to provide independence, objective assurance and oversight over key business risks. There is a collaborative working relationship across the Three Lines of Defence model, which gives Internal Audit access to key strategic decisions and business meetings in order to effectively challenge risk mitigation.
We support hybrid and flexible ways of working and would welcome discussion on how we can enable you to thrive in your role. There may be a requirement to meet, engage and collaborate with team members or stakeholders at our offices for business purposes at particular times which would be discussed with you.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creative and inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our customers and clients.
- Deliver high quality (right first time) outputs in provision of opinion, adhering to methodology and quality framework set by Group Internal Audit (GIA) and IIA standards.
- Own the planning and delivery of an audit portfolio, utilizing a thorough understanding of risk universe and risk management framework for the AP.
- Build and proactively manage relationships with key stakeholders and committees within an Audit Portfolio (AP), that fosters trust, open relations and two-way communication.
- Build strong two-way communication links with Other Assurance Providers (OAP) and ensure OAP outputs are factored into audit planning and macro-opinions.
- Take ownership of engaging and managing any co-source work within AP (and associated budgetary costs).
- Take ownership of building macro control and risk management opinions for each AP area, to be agreed with key stakeholders on a half yearly basis.
- Regularly promote the GIA proposition and charter to key stakeholders within the allocated AP.
- Ensure adherence to GIA (and wider Phoenix Group) principles, policy and Values
- Identify risks and key root causes across varied/complex key business areas and articulating an appropriate control position to senior management.
- Good personal performance management guided by best industry practice, with a quality focus on outputs.
- Contributes to wider team development through knowledge sharing of key information and provision of support to team members.
- Add value through communicating audit opinions on/improvements to governance, risk management and control to key stakeholders and committee chairs/attendees in a clear, concise and commercial manner.
- Through proactive self-learning and ongoing continuous development, become a GIA Subject Matter Expert for AP area, ensuring a strong understanding of all relevant technical matters and relevant best practice risk & control frameworks.
What We’re Looking For
- Qualified Actuary (or exam finalist/qualified by experience); or Qualified Accountant (ACCA); or Certified Internal Auditor (or other IIA qualification)
- Excellent planning, co-ordination and organisation skills, balancing audit delivery with external demands and managing multiple priorities
- Ability to proactively plan for future challenges and changes to audits / audit plan
- Strong stakeholder management and relationship building skills with the ability to influence at a senior level
- Track record of continuous improvement and embracing change
- Risk Management / Audit experience
- Commercial and strategic outcomes based focus
- Experience of working within the Insurance/Financial Services sector
What We Offer
Bring your ‘whole self’, skills and dedication to the Phoenix Group and we’ll recognise your effort, support your development and help to drive your ambition. We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes an attractive pension, annual bonus potential, private medical insurance, generous holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity and adoption leave and a range of other financial services and lifestyle flexible benefits.
Join us and you join a unique organisation. It’s not just the 14 million policyholders we serve, or the £300 billion of assets we look after. Or that we’re a FTSE 100 company that has been listed as one of the UK's Top Employers for nine years running. It’s our talented, inclusive and diverse workforce that makes us a success. We offer flexible working opportunities ensuring we attract and retain the very best of talent. Find out about more about our people’s stories, our values and our commitment to diversity.
Interviews and Onboarding
As we begin to open up our office doors and move into our hybrid way of working our interviews can be held either remotely or in one of our office locations. You will be told in advance how and where this will take place. All of our Onboarding is managed remotely with the exception in obtaining your right to work documents. If you are successful in the role, we will require you to visit your new office ahead of joining with us. This will be managed and organised by the hiring manager or nominated person.
We have in place a strong virtual support network to ensure new colleagues are supported and developed as they navigate their first few months with us
Phoenix Group is a member of the FTSE 100 index and is the UK’s largest long-term savings and retirement business. We specialise in the acquisition and management of Heritage life insurance and pension funds. We’ve businesses in the UK, Germany and Ireland and hold a broad range of both Heritage and Open products split across three key business segments: UK Heritage, UK Open and Europe. Our open business manufactures and underwrites new products and policies to support people saving for their future in areas such as workplace pensions and SIPPs, primary under the Standard Life brand. And we market corporate pension trustee services and manufacture products to be sold under other brands. Did you know Phoenix Life manufactures SunLife’s market leading Guaranteed Over 50’s plan?
We value diversity in our workforce and welcome enquiries from everyone.
Closing Date: 28th January 2022