Assistant Head Cyber Security Operations Support
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
In 2019, five Government Security Centres (GSeCs) were embedded in host departments to provide security consultancy services across Government in six key areas: Cyber; Personnel and Physical; Education and Awareness; Industry Security Assurance and International.
The Government Security Centre for Cyber (Cyber GSeC) is hosted by HMRC and provides consultancy and advice services across government to improve cyber security posture across HMG. We work directly in support of the Government Cyber Security Strategy (GCSS).
The Cyber GSeC sits within HMRC Security, which is part of the Chief Digital & Information Officer (CDIO) area of HMRC. Though the GSeC sits within these functions, it is a distinct entity that is separate from the day-to-day HMRC Security function.
The Cyber GSeC is split into two teams: Operations and Enabling Capabilities. The Operations team provides the support and expertise to organisations to meet the Minimum Cyber Security Standard, as well as understanding and improving their ability to meet the evolving cyber security threats facing HMG. The Enabling Capabilities team provides support to the Operations team; as well as undertaking the governance, communications, and business management requirements.
Over the next three years the Cyber GSeC will be growing significantly as we develop our capabilities in support of the GCSS, and we are looking for an Assistant Head Cyber Security Operations Support to join the Enabling Capabilities team.
As Assistant Head Cyber Security Operations Support you will lead the support and coordination of activities (across several functions) to ensure the smooth running and efficient operation of the Cyber GSeCs Operations Team. You will be responsible for managing the Cyber GSeCs liaison with HMRC's Commercial, Finance and HR functions to enable the operational team to focus on carrying out key objectives.
Leading a small team, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth recruitment and onboarding of individuals to the Cyber GSeC (including Contingent Labour Contractors), managing the GSeC finances, establishing and maintaining contracts with key suppliers, and ensuring the smooth governance of the GSeC through effective reporting.
As Assistant Head Cyber Security Operations Support will work alongside the Assistant Head for Cyber Security External Engagement and report to the Head of Enabling Capabilities
- Oversee and manage Operations support and coordination functions.
- Be the primary liaison for all matters concerning Cyber GSeC Commercial Contracts and work with HMRC Solicitors Office to protect HMRC from any identified risks.
- Liaise with Commercial, Finance, HR and SIBP leads at senior levels to explain key Cyber GSeC requirements and obtain respective approvals required to complete commercial processes.
- Manage the Cyber GSeCs Finances, including budget management, analysing spend controls, raising PO's and responding to monthly finance reports for various boards.
- Oversee all governance and reporting concerning the Cyber GSeC Operations and Enabling Capabilities teams.
- Planning and implementing recruitment campaigns for the Cyber GSeC, working with HR to ensure adherence to overarching HMRC HR policies and procedures.
- Promoting the uptake and endorsement of learning, development, and accreditation; cultivate talent and fostering an inclusive, diverse, and motivated workforce.
- Contribute to business planning and effective operational continuity.
- Line management of two Senior Executive Officers.
It is essential that candidates:
- Have experience in a leadership role and line management of staff.
- Can build strong working and professional relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Are a team-player and can remain diplomatic with stakeholders whilst working under time-pressures
- Have experience supporting the successful delivery of projects, demonstrating professional credibility and authority
- Have strong written & verbal communication with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Have great attention to detail and have strong organisational skills
- Are self-motivated and demonstrate a proactive approach managing workload
- Can work independently - the Cyber GSeC operates remotely across the UK
It is desirable that candidates have the following:
- Experience of maintaining budgets and forecasting spend controls
- Experience working in a Commercial team and/or Finance team
- Knowledge of the Government Security Profession and Government Security Function
- Experience of working within the public sector, ideally in central government and working with seniors
- Experience with Civil Service recruitment processes
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
- A civil service pension
- 22 days leave (pro rata for part time staff), which increases to 25 after a year's service and 30 days after 10 years' service.
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Thursday 2nd June 2022.