Industrial Cost Auditor
ESA is looking for an Industrial Cost Auditor. This is a non-renewable post for a limited duration of 4 years and is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
The industrial cost audit function is of vital importance for ESA. The Agency dispenses a large proportion of its annual budget in placing contracts with space sector contractors. It is important to ensure a proper return for its Member States' investments and to ensure value for money. The audit activity is an essential part of this process.
You will report to the Head of the Industrial Audit Section and be responsible for general industrial cost analysis and auditing-related activities concerning the ESA procurement process.
Provision of high-quality audit services that achieve cost-effectiveness and value creation for the ESA procurement process with transparent and cost-effective deployment of public resources in industry via ESA programmes.
You will, in direct contact with industry working under contract with ESA, carry out the following:
- auditing, analysis and negotiation of hourly industrial labour rates and overheads, and of unit rates (such as facility charges) and other overheads, on the basis of detailed reviews carried out on industry’s costs structure and their accounting tools;
- auditing of direct expenditure on cost reimbursement contracts and/or co-funded contracts placed with industry including compliance with ESA rules;
- implementing financial viability audits on the basis of detailed reviews of industry’s financial data;
- auditing the nationality of the industrial firms concerned on the basis of established processes and criteria for nationality attribution;
- verifying industry’s cost accounting systems to ascertain compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and ESA rules.
Providing support to ESA programmes will involve:
- participation in tender evaluation boards and cost panels to analyse financial and cost-related aspects of industry proposals, supporting ESA’s programme directorates in direct negotiations with industry;
- implementing audits on industry to directly support programmes, including detailed analysis and review of industrial contractual documents;
- advising on financial matters e.g. currency exchange, price variation formulae, productivity, inflation, hourly rates, etc.
For relevant support services, duties will include:
- auditing in the framework of georeturn data verification;
- coordinating cost and audit activities with other national and international organisations;
- supporting day-to-day audit activities, including preparing concise, accurate documentation (e.g. audit reports, policies and processes), data analysis, information collection, etc.
- carrying out other relevant tasks/projects as requested of the Section.
You will interface with senior industry representatives, ESA and industry project management teams, ESA contract officers, ESA finance and cost engineer functions and the auditors of other national audit authorities.
- Knowledge/Experience with accounting systems and tools
- Knowledge/Experience with auditing
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Cost and financial/management accounting
A Master’s degree in business administration, corporate finance and accounting or economics is required.
- Effective communication skills are of utmost importance due to the level of interfaces.
- A minimum five years’ experience in auditing activities is required.
- Experience in calculation methodologies of hourly labour/facility and overheads rates is preferred.
- Readiness to travel frequently, as it is the nature of the job.
What we offer
A stimulating and inspiring working environment is just one of the benefits of working at ESA. Other advantages include competitive salaries, flexible working arrangement promoting work-life balance, housing relocation support and comprehensive health coverage under ESA’s social security scheme.
Be the first to hear about new opportunities at ESA by subscribing to our careers news or setting up a job alert. Follow us on social media and share this opportunity with your network.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
For more information, please click on 'Apply'.
Closing date for applications is 6 July 2022