Catastrophe Modeller - Flood Risk
At Lloyds Banking Group our primary purpose is to help Britain prosper…
And this is only realistic if we're making a genuine difference to Britain's people, its businesses and local communities - especially when it comes to insuring homes and workplaces against weather events.
Together we can make it possible...
If you're a Catastrophe Modeller with a passion for building models, shaping insights then the vast amount of data we hold on 30m customers should be of interest to you!
This is an exciting hybrid opportunity to join the GI Underwriting team who are largely based out of Leeds but are flexible on your home location.
You'd develop the view of weather-related catastrophe risk (with a focus on flood risk) for General Insurance (GI), to aid pricing, capital allocation and stress testing.
We're one of the UK's leading General Insurers and the Weather Modelling team plays a critical role in modelling the natural catastrophe risk posed to this business.
We analyse the risk to our portfolio from a variety of environmental perils, as well as considering the impacts of climate change. Across our Group we're incredibly serious about getting carbon neutral and investing in ESG projects!
As well as delivering highly analytical projects, you'll have the opportunity to work with many teams across the business and present your key findings to senior managers and genuinely influence things.
Here's what you'd be focussing on:
- Developing the LBG view of flood catastrophe risk across multiple functions including pricing, underwriting and Solvency II capital requirements
- Supporting the internal response to key weather events
- Leading the production and quality assurance of flood risk Management Information by other team members
- Investigating the use of new data sources, products and methods
- Presenting key modelling approaches and outcomes to senior General Insurance committees
- Engaging with 3rd parties such as reinsurance broker, model vendors and universities
What we're specifically looking for in your application:
- A Master's degree or PhD in hydrology, flood risk management or similar OR a number of years' relevant professional flood risk experience
- A background knowledge and curiosity about UK weather risks such as storms and flooding, and their relevance to home insurance
- Good knowledge of statistical techniques relevant to catastrophe modelling and environmental sciences
You'll need to be strongly numerate - adept at analysing and manipulating large datasets (strong in MS Excel). And demonstrate your passion for this field by being responsive to weather events as they arise.
As your insights will get (very) senior visibility we'll also be looking for those well developed communication skills and a passion for detail/accuracy.
And these aspects would be desirable:
- Proficiency in an object-based programming language such as R, Python, Matlab, Java would be very useful
- As would any familiarity with spatial datasets either through a programming language or Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
What would you get in return?
As a leading employer we're passionate about diversity and equal opportunity with industry recognition across gender, ethnicity, disability, LGBTQ+ and families.
And just let us know if any reasonable adjustments are needed to our recruitment processes - we'll try to accommodate them...
You'll also get a comprehensive package comprising a 4% flex cash pot to spend on benefits, generous 15% pension contribution, 28 days holiday, share schemes and private medical cover.
So if you have the background and skills we're seeking and our data lakes appeal then get in touch, we'd love to hear from you...
More searches like this
- Risk Analysis Insurance £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Other Insurance £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Risk Insurance £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Analytics Insurance £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Analytics Insurance £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom