Customer Compliance Manager (Senior Tax Professional)
At HMRC, we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who works for us, and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make an exciting career at HMRC accessible to you.
- Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success, and we encourage applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
About Wealthy & Mid-sized Business Compliance
The Wealthy and Mid-sized Business Compliance (WMBC) directorate aims to put compliance and customer service at the heart of everything we do by taking a customer segment approach, focusing on customers rather than different types of tax, so we can target and coordinate our responses more effectively. Within WMBC, Wealthy focuses on wealthy individuals to ensure they pay the right amount of tax.
Our approach is tailored to the risk that is presented by our customers, including adopting a more intensive level of scrutiny when appropriate, looking across their tax affairs and the businesses they own or influence. This is an exciting and challenging time to be part of HMRC. The taxation of wealthy individuals remains the focus of keen media and Parliamentary interest. You will join one of the largest Civil Service departments and work in a fast paced and dynamic environment where you will be supported to provide high quality services.
Wealthy is undergoing an exciting Transformation Programme aimed at improving the health of the tax system by promoting a co-operative approach to managing compliance in the Wealthy Customer Group, targeting our resource where customers have the highest levels of complexity and opportunity for non-compliance.
Customer Compliance Managers (CCM) lead our approach to compliance for our highest risk customers, using their tax professional knowledge to identify and address complex risks across tax regimes. They take the lead in conducting compliance checks and provide direction to colleagues on worked cases, managing complex, sensitive, and potentially challenging reputational issues.
As a CCM, you will be comfortable working at pace with technical specialists, policy owners and legal professionals, building and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders to support HMRC and cross-Government objectives. A senior role, you will play a key part in wider leadership and building capability in teams to influence customer approach to tax.
As a Customer Compliance Manager in Wealthy, you will be responsible for delivery of our Customer Strategy. You will:
- Develop an understanding of the customer and their business drivers, including attitudes to risk and compliance, influencing their thinking and approach to tax.
- Lead a team of tax and other professionals in assessing and dealing with tax risk, delivering a programme of annual risk assessment.
- Develop a high level of tax technical knowledge across key Personal Tax regimes and apply this knowledge to identify and tackle compliance risk.
- Conduct compliance checks efficiently, legally, and proportionately and ensure all decisions are taken in line with guidance / governance protocols so that decisions can be defended on legal challenge.
- Accurately, clearly, and confidently convey HMRC's position, verbally and in writing, on tax technical matters to stakeholders.
- Take responsibility and accountability for decisions that are made in respect of your customers and your portfolio of work.
- Be a leader within the team and across your location, promoting HMRC's Respect at Work programme and delivering on our Race Equality Action Plan.
- Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification, or successfully completed the HMRC Tax Specialist Programme or one of its predecessors (TPDP, IDP, ITS2, CPT, FT2).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong Personal Tax technical skills.
- Recent experience of leading complex direct tax issues.
- Travel and overnight stays may be required across the UK.
- This role does not include any direct line management.
Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification, or successfully completed the HMRC Tax Specialist Programme or one of its predecessors (TPDP, IDP, ITS2, CPT, FT2).
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Application of Tax Knowledge: Interprets complex legislation and holds persuasive arguments/discussions on relevant points of detail with accountants, solicitors, counsel, and senior staff.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Wednesday 17th August 2022
More searches like this
- Compliance Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Tax Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Corporate Governance & GRC Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Regulation Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Compliance & Regulation Public Sector £50,000 - £59,999 jobs in United Kingdom