Key Purpose of the Job:
The successful Telemetry Technician will be responsible for the modification, installation, configuration and commissioning of telemetry units across the Southern Water region in both the water and wastewater functions. This is to ensure that the site is operating efficiently and effectively on a continuous basis.
We are looking for someone who enjoys working independently and is able to provide a reliable service to unmanned sites, with no direct supervision. A current Electrical Installation Regulations qualification is a requirement.
You will be responsible for:
- Planned outstation changes and new installs in both the wastewater and supply function
- Availability to travel across the region to provide cover where necessary
- Working as part of a team, assisting and passing technical information between team members
- The role requires good organisational & planning skills as a lot of the work will involve an element of self planning
- The role requires a high degree of independence and reliability as of the work is carried out on unmanned sites with no direct supervision and the technicians will generally work alone
Skills & Competencies:
- Significant depth of knowledge of fault finding, calibration, testing, investigating, and programming on a wide range of telemetry units
- Highly flexible approach and engaging personal style, you must be capable of engaging with other areas of the business in a collaborative and respectful manner, dealing with colleagues from all levels
- Good level of electrical installation experience including installations relating to telemetry outstations
- Highly flexible approach and engaging personal style
- Capable of engaging with other areas of the business, personable character …..
- Experience working on telemetry systems and outstations
- Sound IT skills particularly in MS office applications including Excel
- Good understanding of remote data communication systems within an industrial / process environment
- Good understanding of the principles of wastewater, clean water and sludge treatment processes would be a distinct advantage
- Must be aware of the water industry’s statutory obligations and levels of service to customers
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience in a process or industrial environment.
- Experience of installing, commissioning and configuring telemetry outstations
- Experience of operating in a flexible and highly dynamic programme environment.
Does this opportunity excite you but you’re not 100% sure if you meet all the requirements for the role? Or are you concerned that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t possible given your personal circumstances? Whilst we can’t accommodate every flexible working request, we’ll try to find a practical solution. So why not engage with us and find out more about this role?
Without water, life as we know it would be impossible. Every day, we rely on it for drinking, washing and cleaning. It helps create the energy we need for heat and light. It’s also essential to the products we enjoy and the natural world we depend upon.
Yet the South East faces a future of more people and less water. Our population is growing fast, and climate change is bringing greater risk of both drought and flooding.
In the water industry, your work will help to address these challenges and give people access to sustainable, high-quality water and wastewater services for decades to come.
The South East is also home to over 700 miles of coastline, two National Parks, four Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and some of the world’s rarest chalk streams. As well as working within these breath-taking environments, your activities will help preserve them for generations to come.
Why Southern Water?
Each day, over four million people across Sussex, Kent, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight count on us for their essential water or wastewater services. Our work is vital, because we’re providing water for life.
Do you want to make a difference? At Southern Water, you work will help to enhance health and wellbeing, protect and improve the environment and sustain the economy. You’ll also play an important role in helping us deliver a resilient water future for the South East.
Are you a natural collaborator with a strong moral compass and high standards? If so, you’ll fit right in. Everything we do is underpinned by three values: succeeding together, doing the right thing and always improving.
Do you want to bring your authentic self to work every day? We do too. That’s why we’re building an inclusive culture and are proud to offer equal opportunities regardless of age, cultural background, disability, gender, marital status, nationality, political belief, race, religion or sexual orientation. We believe the unique perspectives and experiences each of us brings make us stronger.