Senior Internal Auditor
Salary: £36,298 - £41,496 per annum fully inclusive (pro rata) plus a Local Weighting Allowance of £1,002 is also payable.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join a Finance and Commercial Services team, as a Senior Internal Auditor. The role is part of the biggest Finance transformation project the Council has ever undertaken, and this role is a senior role within the project. The Internal Audit function is being brought back in-house having been outsourced for some significant period of time. This role provides the opportunity to be part of a new and exciting development within a broader ‘assurance’ team that includes counter fraud, risk and insurance and financial governance.
Slough Borough Council's Finance and Commercial team is undergoing a huge transformation and is looking for new team members to be key players in its change and improvement journey. SBC has faced unprecedented challenges in recent times but has now developed a recovery and improvement plan which along with the commitment and hard work of officers and members is beginning to make a positive impact. It will be challenging but you will have an almost unique opportunity to be part of a team that will help re-build the Council and its finances. The Finance and Commercial services team are crucial to helping the council deliver on its ambitious new plans.
What you'll be doing:
- Undertaking risk-based audit reviews. Carrying out a programme of allocated audit reviews to appropriate quality standards, within agreed deadlines and budgets.
- Preparing clear and concise audit reports using standard audit report template, documenting the outcomes and assurance opinion of each audit review together with practical recommendations
- Planning and organising own workload and that of the Internal Auditors and agreeing achievable deadlines with clients
- Monitoring workload and timescales on a frequent basis to ensure all deadlines are met and time is used productively in the delivery of internal audit assignments
- Client liaison/representing the internal audit service by attending key meetings with audit clients, including scoping and closeout meetings
What you'll have:
We encourage development, ambition and progression so even if you don't have all the skills/experience, please do consider applying as full training and support are offered.
- CCAB/CIMA qualified or PIIA (or equivalent qualification from the CIIA) or AAT
- Experience of delivering internal audit within a local authority or similarly complex organisation
- Substantial generalist internal auditing experience at a senior level
- Experience of writing audit reports and presenting audit findings and recommendations to organisational management
- Experience of devising and undertaking appropriate audit tests to provide assurance over the effectiveness of internal controls using a risk-based approach
- Experience of delivering work to agreed deadlines, budgets and quality standards and supervising colleagues to meet their targets
- Ability to facilitate change and transformation, developing productive and collaborative ways of working with colleagues and stakeholders, leading and motivating others to achieve continuous improvement
This role will allow you to have impact, be challenged and be part of a team that wants to leave a positive legacy within both the organisation and community.
Our offer to you:
Slough Borough Council offers a challenging but rewarding place to work, in a supportive environment where your valued input will lead and shape the future direction of the Council’s finances. Ambition and innovation will be required now more than ever, and you'll join a friendly and collaborative environment where you are encouraged to thrive.
Alongside a competitive salary, there are a range of great benefits including:
- Flexible and hybrid working options with an expectation of at least 2 days per week in the office
- Generous holiday entitlement: 25 days annual leave (not including Bank holidays), rising to 29 days between 2 - 5 years of service and 32 days after 5 years of service
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing initiatives including cycle rides and sports tournaments amongst others
- Our commitment to equality and diversity through a range of employee networks
- Tax-free childcare and childcare services
- Discounted car parking
- Season loan ticket - to help with the cost of your rail/bus journey to and from work.
In our office, we are assembling the best minds in public sector reform. If that’s you, then this could be a career defining move for you.
How to apply:
Please apply using the 'Apply' button.
Please refer to the relevant Job Description and Person Spec on our website.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Candidates as they are currently under-represented in leadership positions.
We value diversity.