Senior Data Scientist
- United Kingdom / Hybrid
- Competitive + Excellent Benefits
- 23 Mar 2023
- 22 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Analytics, Business Intelligence, Data Analytics, Data Engineering, Data Science, Machine Learning
- Employer Sector
- Banking & Finance - Investment, Banking & Finance - Retail, Financial Services
- Contract Type
- Full Time
This is an exciting opportunity to work as a Senior Data Scientist at the intersection of machine learning and financial services in the Data Science and Advanced Analytics team. We have a track record of breaking new analytical ground in Barclays using newer data sources, advanced techniques, and cutting-edge technologies. We’re now hiring for our next innovative leader to push the bank’s analytical boundaries to better serve our customers. The constantly evolving nature of our projects and partners means you will analyse a variety of data, particularly those that are unstructured, large and granular.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month, or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally can request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances. Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
What will you be doing?
- Designing and developing modelling approaches appropriate to data sources, technology stacks, and end-users’ needs
- Spurring engagement with business areas, coordinating multifunctional project teams to deliver data science solutions that create transformative commercial value at pace and in control
- Ensuring project teams you lead deliver machine learning models into production, working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation to remove impediments to progress
- Adhering to professional software development standards to ensure robust, repeatable analytical applications in line with legal requirements, internal policies, and risk management frameworks
- Reviewing the code of colleagues to ensure it is efficiently written and appropriately documented
- Promoting and presenting your work to senior stakeholders across Barclays UK
- Keeping tabs on the latest developments in data science, devising ways to foster these within the bank
What we’re looking for:
- Proficiency in Python developing statistical and machine learning models
- Experience delivering complex data science projects in a business context
- Prior people management experience, with tried and true approaches for mentoring junior staff
- Clear passion for making financial services more customer-centric by using data science ethically
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Understanding of the financial sector, to recognise and drive forward opportunities where data science can transform the bank
- Skilled at influencing and communicating to various stakeholders up to executive level
- Specialism in one or more of the following: reinforcement learning, deep learning, natural language processing, agent-based modelling, image recognition
Where will you be working?
We will confirm your place of work at the point of offer, ensuring that this is considered in line with our future ways of working and overall location strategy.
More searches like this
- Analytics Financial Services £90,000 - £99,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Analytics Financial Services £90,000 - £99,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Business Intelligence Financial Services £90,000 - £99,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Science Financial Services £90,000 - £99,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Data Engineering Financial Services £90,000 - £99,999 jobs in United Kingdom