Internal Audit Manager - Response team
Location: Birmingham, Blackpool, Bootle, Bristol, Cardiff, Coventry, Darlington, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Norwich, Sheffield, Swindon, York
Salary: £51,350 - £59,638, (£54,850 - £63,580 London Allowance). Although new entrants to the civil service are expected to join at the minimum of the salary range, we have limited discretion to agree a higher starting point dependent on current skills and experience. Existing civil servants will be appointed in line with the normal civil service pay rules.
The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) delivers internal audit and risk assurance services to 15 of the UK’s central government departments and over 100 of their related arm’s length bodies.
We are building an Audit Response Team of skilled internal auditors who are briefed, prepared and able to ‘hit the ground running’ to support any of our customer teams pan-government on a range of programmes and activities, all focused on delivering better insights, and enabling better outcomes.
You could be working with the Ministry of Justice, DVLA, UKRI, Department for Transport, Department of Health and Social Care, DEFRA or the Ministry of Defence just to name a few, as well as working with our specialist audit teams who focus on business infrastructure such as project management, digital or commercial specialisms or working with our specialist Counter Fraud team.
With access to high profile work, you will work alongside key decision makers, audit specialists and private sector contractors within the Agency, challenging and developing your skills as well as ensuring we meet our customers’ expectations.
No two days will ever be the same in these fast-paced roles that will provide challenge, stretch and the opportunity to work with many of our customers.
Quite simply, our Audit Response Team puts the right people in the right place at the right time to ensure we provide our high quality services on time for our customers. If that sounds like an environment where you could thrive, then we’d love to hear from you.
Please note there are also opportunities to join our static teams and you will be asked your preference at interview.
As well as being able to build excellent relationships with a variety of stakeholders whilst delivering an efficient, robust audit service you will:
- Provide input into the development and implementation of audit plans for our customers, bringing to this an understanding of the risk environment, materiality and the control framework.
- Provide oversight of the way in which audit methodology, risk assessments, plans and working practices are delivered in line with GIAA methodology; this will involve liaison with stakeholders, and critical appraisal of audit team output, team coaching and supervision, promoting common standards and consistency, and alignment of working practices.
- Act as a member of the Senior Management Team supporting a Senior Audit Manager, and play an active part in the delivery of corporate objectives to develop and grow the Agency.
- Be accountable for compliance with professional standards and compliance with GIAA’s new single audit methodology and audit management software across your own audits.
- Take account of key requirements and practices when planning and prioritising work, ensuring that the delivery of plans meet management and stakeholder expectations including timeframes, budgets and quality.
- Show judgment when potential risk exposure seems significant and escalate matters through the appropriate management/customer channels – this may involve liaison with specialists within the Agency or with outside advisers.
- Engage with suppliers using the GIAA framework and obtain the best VFM for audit work.
- Be accountable for the performance of the team (including work delivered by private sector firms performing co-sourced audits) in meeting agreed plans, objectives and targets, as well as the resulting provision of audit assurance to the Accounting Officer and/or Partner Organisations.
To be suitable for these roles you will need to demonstrate how your skills and experience meet the following criteria:
- Significant knowledge and experience of successfully planning, managing and delivering multiple audit reviews across multiple business areas to time, whilst maintaining a high quality of service.
- Effective decision making, and the ability to manage conflicting priorities, targeting work to key risk areas.
- The ability to build and maintain relationships across the organisation at all levels, influencing a diverse senior stakeholder community to adopt good practice internal controls and risk management and governance processes.
- A proactive, independent thinker who can confidently express their views, demonstrating an understanding of bigger picture considerations where necessary.
- Demonstrate resilience and tact in the face of challenging circumstances using innovative and creative solutions as necessary.
- An effective decision maker, with the ability to manage conflicting priorities and targeting work to key risk areas.
- An excellent communicator, including leading and coaching team members to achieve highest standard quality products using departmental audit methodology, recognising success and challenging performance when necessary.
- Leading and supporting change at a team and organisational level, adopting a continuous improvement approach which contributes to the wider corporate responsibilities of the organisation.
You will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy/audit body, either:
1) Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland and must hold chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
2) Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global, If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application via email
No other level of internal audit qualifications meet the requirements of this post.
3) Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA)
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Competitive salaries and in-year rewards
- Flexible working
- A Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Discount on big brands
- Volunteering days
- Season Ticket Loan and Cycle to Work Schemes
- Free eyesight tests
- Family-friendly HR policies
- 25 days’ annual leave increasing by one day per year of service to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Geographically based Agency