Senior Internal Audit Manager - Response team
Location: Birmingham, Blackpool, Bootle, Bristol, Cardiff, Coventry, Darlington, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Norwich, Sheffield, Swindon, York
Salary: £64,280 - £69,913, (£67,780 - £74,459 London Allowance). Although new entrants to the civil service are expected to join at the minimum of the salary range, we have limited discretion to agree a higher starting point dependent on current skills and experience. Existing civil servants will be appointed in line with the normal civil service pay rules.
The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) delivers internal audit and risk assurance services to 15 of the UK’s central government departments and over 100 of their related arm’s length bodies.
We are building an Audit Response Team of skilled internal auditors who are briefed, prepared and able to ‘hit the ground running’ to support any of our customer teams pan-government on a range of programmes and activities, all focused on delivering better insights, and enabling better outcomes.
You could be working with the Ministry of Justice, DVLA, UKRI, Department for Transport, Department of Health and Social Care, DEFRA or the Ministry of Defence just to name a few, as well as working with our specialist audit teams who focus on business infrastructure such as project management, digital or commercial specialisms or working with our specialist Counter Fraud team.
With access to high profile work, you will work alongside key decision makers, audit specialists and private sector contractors within the Agency, challenging and developing your skills as well as ensuring we meet our customers’ expectations.
No two days will ever be the same in these fast-paced roles that will provide challenge, stretch and the opportunity to work with many of our customers.
Quite simply, our Audit Response Team puts the right people in the right place at the right time to ensure we provide our high quality services on time for our customers. If that sounds like an environment where you could thrive, then we’d love to hear from you.
Please note there are also opportunities to join our static teams and you will be asked your preference at interview.
As a Senior Internal Audit Manager you will both deliver and lead assignments and customer liaison for our work with medium sized customers and support Group Chief Internal Auditors deliver services for our largest customer departments.
You will have engage with other audit teams across the Agency, ensuring resources are fully deployed, as well as maintain up to date resource scheduling within the team.
Other responsibilities include:
- Lead and deliver very high risk or complex audit assignments.
- Engage effectively with senior stakeholders to support the identification and management of key risks and to promote effective governance, risk management, control and assurance arrangements.
- Deliver Audit Plans in line with quality, time scale and budget requirements to support robust assurance opinions and other agreed stakeholder requirements.
- Deliver robust, evidence-based, independent assurance opinions for our customers and Audit Committees in accordance with the agreed timetables. Support the GCIA in providing an opinion on the system of internal control.
- Lead continuous improvement activities to improve audit practices, products and customer service.
- Ensure the whole team are compliant with professional standards and compliance with GIAA’s new single audit methodology and audit management software
- Lead people to manage, recognise and reward good performance, promote personal and professional development, nurture and manage talent.
- Act promptly on feedback and issues.
- Promote equality and diversity.
To apply for this role you will need to be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Experience of developing and delivering a risk-based Internal Audit assurance consultancy programme, including through others, with sound judgment in responding quickly to fast moving priorities.
- The ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with senior management and the Audit and Risk Committee (ARC), both in terms of client engagement and ensuring the service is operating to appropriate professional standards that meet client and ARC needs.
- Establish relationships with and taking account of the work of other assurance providers to ensure maximum value and minimum overlap in providing assurance.
- Have the ability to assess skills and resources gaps in the delivery of the audit service, developing mechanisms to overcome these.
- Be able to influence a diverse senior stakeholder community to develop effective governance, risk management and internal control arrangements.
- Demonstrate resilience and tact in the face of challenge from senior staff, including negotiation to overcome such situations.
- Experience in reviewing complex programmes and be able to demonstrate sound commercial acumen.
You will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy/audit body, either:
1) Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland and must hold chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
2) Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global, If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application via email
No other level of internal audit qualifications meet the requirements of this post.
3) Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA)
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Developing Self and Others
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Competitive salaries and in-year rewards
- Flexible working
- A Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Discount on big brands
- Volunteering days
- Season Ticket Loan and Cycle to Work Schemes
- Free eyesight tests
- Family-friendly HR policies
- 25 days’ annual leave increasing by one day per year of service to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Geographically based Agency
More searches like this
- Business / Corporate Auditor Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Risk Management Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Corporate Governance & GRC Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Internal Audit Senior Manager Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in United Kingdom
- Risk Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in United Kingdom