Senior Program Manager, EU AMZL Sustainability Engineering
EU AMZL Sustainability Engineering is looking for a talented Sr Electrical Engineer to scale programs within the wider AMZL electrification transformation.
Amazon is committed to building a sustainable future for our customers, local communities, and the planet. Under The Climate Pledge we committed to be net-zero carbon across our business by 2040, 10 years ahead of the Paris Agreement. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people that are dedicated to making a meaningful impact on the sustainability of our products and supply chain.
Core initiative are the electrification of last mile and middle mile fleet and the implementation of technologies to maximize energy efficiency of our buildings. This requires the creation of one of the largest private charging networks in the world and the definition of innovative electrical design to enable smart grids processes.
Key job responsibilities
- Align and set stakeholders’ expectations for the installation of AMZL EV charging infrastructure and/or smart grid. This requires multiple weekly interaction with EU Electrification program management, Global Fleet Product team, Reliability Maintenance Engineering (RME), Global Procurement, Finance and OPS teams, as well as with our external partners.
- Develop and manage vendors, in order to ensure installation capacity, quality of commissioning and smooth interaction on-site with other teams like health and safety and operations.
- Have full ownership of technologies’ standards for electrical equipment. Key accountability will be the definition of standard processes for the installation and commissioning of electrical infrastructure to support EV chargers. Based on expertise and team’s priorities, the scope may extend to the implementation of smart micro-grid and the interconnectivity of renewable energy (solar, wind, hydrogen).
- Perform design validation in order to ensure that various teams are respecting electrical standards during installation of electrical equipment.
- Act as subject matter expert and support Field Engineering to prepare for the execution of installation on-site.
- Ensure the respect of mechanisms for cost controlling. Proactively improve those mechanisms with equal focus on reliability of installation and financial performances.
- Write business cases and present them to leadership to scope programs.
A day in the life
Your day could include engagement with all levels of the organization and multiple stakeholder groups to drive short, mid and long term decisions that have impact on a large scale across the AMZL network. You would also be working with partners from Operations, Process Improvement, Health and Safety, Ergonomics, Finance, Procurement and external vendors to design and deploy new equipment and processes for the multiple process paths in AMZL Delivery Stations. You will find a cooperative environment with a common commitment on making Amazon business a worldwide reference for Sustainability actions.
About the team
EU Amazon Logistics Sustainability Engineering is responsible for the definition and continuous improvement of electrical standards for EV charging network and smart grid solutions. We ensure reliability of design and we obsess over costs since we believe that waste of resources is one of the major risks for Sustainability actions. The scale of Amazon last mile network requires the team to establish close partnership with other teams: we get plans and financial justification from Global Fleet team or from EU Sustainability team; we leverage footprint and skills of Field Engineering team for installation; we get continuous feedback from Maintenance and Operation teams to improve our products.
- Master Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Physics or other technical master with actual expertise on electrical design and installation.
- Technical expertise in Medium Voltage and Low Voltage power distribution is required.
- Demonstrated experience on leading product development for electrical equipment or infrastructure.
- Track of record of successes achievement in fast-paced, ambiguous, deadline-oriented work environment.
- Experience of handling multiple competing priorities and complex projects in a fast-paced environment, with multiple stakeholders (e.g. definition of expansion plans, vendors’ development, quality assurance, design and costs improvement, team and stakeholders engagement).
- Microsoft Office skills, including advanced working knowledge of Excel and Word. Basic knowledge of software for electrical grid sizing.
- Experience in electrical engineering programs, procurement of hardware, contracting of maintenance services are a strong plus.
- Direct experience of resource planning in large scale programs.
- Ability to simplify complex topics for broad audiences, solid analytical skills to enable data-driven decision making. The role requires effective communication with colleagues from operations, sustainability experts and from various business backgrounds.
- Ability to earn trust across different levels and multiple groups of a large organization; Depth of understanding of industry players in the electrical and energy sector in Europe and WW.
- Experience with customer/partner development and validating products through technological dive deep.
- Fluency in English, German and other European languages.
- Passion for sustainability and desire to innovate at scale.
- Extensive and demonstrated experience of leading Electrification strategies in the industry
- Experience within the EV charging industry
- Experience a within the Smart Grid technology
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).
Please note: This role may close earlier than the date specified. If you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.