Head of Internal Audit
Salary: London: £67,780 - £74,459; National: £64,280 - £69,913
Contract Type: Permanent
Working pattern: This post is available on a full time, part time or job share basis, and flexible working hours can be accommodated.
The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) are an executive agency of His Majesty’s Treasury (HM Treasury), established in April 2015 to improve the quality of internal audit provided to central government.
AWE plc (AWE) plan to become a customer of Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) by April 2025. In advance of this we are looking to second an experienced GIAA employee into AWE as their in-house Head of Internal Audit, to lead their existing inhouse team of internal auditors in delivering the Internal Audit Plan, and also to lead any transition of the service to GIAA in due course.
For more than 70 years, AWE has supported the UK Government’s nucleardefence strategy and the Continuous At Sea Deterrent. Their role in keeping the nation safe is to design, manufacture, develop and maintain the warheads for Trident, the United Kingdom's continuous at sea deterrent (CASD).
We are looking for a high performing internal auditor with relevant experience of delivering a high-quality internal audit and assurance services in a complex environment, who can influence at senior levels, whilst demonstrating the ability to offer sound advice and respond quickly to fast moving priorities. Following successful completion of a six-months probationary period in GIAA (only required if you are a new Civil Servant), you will complete an approximately 12-24 month secondment to AWE as their in-house Head of Internal Audit. You will lead the Internal Audit team to deliver an audit programme of around 1000 days of activity, but which may vary in size over time, with responsibility for a range of audits and assignments.
For a full range of accountabilities, please click “Apply”.
Candidates will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy / audit body below:
- Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland must hold the chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all of the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
- Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global. If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application, by emailing email@example.com. No other level of internal audit qualifications will meet the requirements of this post.
- Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland) or CIMA.
To apply for this role you must be a UK national and able to obtain and hold DV security clearance. You may be able to start the role having obtained SC clearance and with your DV clearance pending.
We will consider applications from people able to access the following offices: London, Reading. Hybrid Working is available GIAA colleagues. This means a combination of office working and working from home. GIAA colleagues are expected to work in an office location for 40% of their working hours.
AWE plc, has confirmed that the postholder will be expected to work in their offices at Aldermaston for at least one day a week. There are some elements of work that can only be conducted on site and so there will sometimes be a need to attend more frequently.
Benefits of working for GIAA include:
- Competitive salary and in year rewards
- Flexible working
- Civil Service pension
- Season ticket loan and Cycle to Work schemes
- Family friendly HR policies
- 25 days annual leave
Government Internal Audit Agency has a strong commitment to equality and diversity and we are a Disability Confident employer. Our aim is to be a department which is open and accessible, recruiting and retaining diverse, talented and high-performing people who support and develop one another.
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the principle of appointment based on fair and open competition and appointment on merit, as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles.
More searches like this
- Business / Corporate Auditor Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Risk Management Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Corporate Governance & GRC Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Internal Audit Senior Manager Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)
- Risk Public Sector £70,000 - £79,999 jobs in Bristol (City Centre)