Monday 02 October 2023
£66,861 - £74,290
Agile Working Options
JOB TITLE: Lead Data Engineer, Personalised Communications & Experiences Platform
SALARY: £66,861 - £74,290
WORKING PATTERN: Our work style is hybrid, which involves spending at least two days per week currently, or 40% of our time, at our Bristol Office
About this opportunity...
A great opportunity has arisen for a Lead Data Engineer to work within the Personalised Experiences and Communications Platform to join product engineering cross functional teams. As a Lead Data Engineer your responsibilities will be delivering the highest quality data capability, drawing upon your engineering expertise, whilst being open minded to the opportunities the cloud provides.
You can expect to be doing...
- Building reusable data pipelines at scale, work with structured and unstructured data, and feature engineering for machine learning or curate data to provide real time contextualise insights to power our customers journeys.
- Using industry leading toolsets, as well as evaluating exciting new technologies to design and build scalable real time data applications.
- Spanning the full data lifecycle and experience using mix of modern and traditional data platforms (e.g. Hadoop, Kafka, GCP, Azure, Teradata, SQL server) you’ll get to work building capabilities with horizon-expanding exposure to a host of wider technologies and careers in data.
- Helping in adopting best engineering practices like Test Driven Development, code reviews, Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery etc for data pipelines.
- Mentoring other engineers to deliver high quality and data led solutions for our Bank’s customers
- Being a team player who can build relationships and work productively with other teams across a variety of domains
We’re on an exciting journey to transform our Group and the way we’re shaping finance for good. We’re focusing on the future, investing in our technologies, workplaces, and colleagues to make our Group a great place for everyone. Including you.
We understand no one can be an expert in every aspect of Data Engineering. However, if you have coding or scripting knowledge / experience and a background in leading Data Engineering teams, we’d like to hear from you.
Specifically, we’re looking for people who have...
- Best practice coding/scripting experience developed in a commercial/industry setting (Python, SQL, Java, Scala or Go).
- Working experience with operational data stores, data warehouse, big data technologies and data lakes (Teradata DW, BigQuery)
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases to build data solutions, such as SQL Server/Oracle/Teradata, experience with relational and dimensional data structures.
- Experience in using distributed frameworks (Spark, Flink, Beam, Hadoop)
- Good knowledge of containers (Docker, Kubernetes etc) and experience with cloud platforms such as GCP, Azure or AWS.
- Strong experience working with Kafka technologies
- Computer science fundamentals: a clear understanding of data structures, algorithms, software design, design patterns and core programming concepts.
- Good understating of cloud storage, networking and resource provisioning
- Good communication skills
- Experience of leading, mentoring and coaching
It would be great if you had...
- Certification in GCP “Professional Data Engineer”
- Certification in Apache Kafka (CCDAK)
- Strong experience in data analysis
- Proficiency across the data lifecycle
Our focus is to ensure we're inclusive every day, building an organisation that reflects modern society and celebrates diversity in all its forms.
We want our people to feel that they belong and can be their best, regardless of background, identity or culture. We were one of the first major organisations to set goals on diversity in senior roles, create a menopause health package, and a dedicated Working with Cancer initiative. And it’s why we especially welcome applications from under-represented groups. We’re disability confident. So if you’d like reasonable adjustments to be made to our recruitment processes, just let us know.
We also offer a wide-ranging benefits package, which includes:
- A generous pension contribution of up to 15%
- An annual performance -related bonus
- Share schemes including free shares
- Benefits you can adapt to your lifestyle, such as discounted shopping
- 30 days’ holiday, with bank holidays on top
- A range of wellbeing initiatives and generous parental leave policies
If you’re excited by the thought of becoming part of our Data Engineering team, get in touch. We’d love to hear from you.
Ready for a career where you can have a positive impact as you learn, grow and thrive? Apply today and find out more.