About the job
This is a senior and critical role for the FCDO and essential for ensuring that we have best practice internal controls and risk management processes in place and working well. We need someone who can build good stakeholder and customer relationships, creating a culture of learning and continuous improvement. The successful candidate will bring strong experience of leading high-quality, Internal Audit programmes in a large, complex global organisation, and a strong knowledge and understanding of modern counter fraud practice. I’m also looking for a moderniser and innovator, who can successfully lead teams through transformational change programmes so that we can continue to learn and adapt as an organisation.
This is an exciting role, in a large, fascinating, culturally diverse international organisation, with plenty to get stuck into!
The Director of Internal Audit and Investigations has responsibility for providing an independent audit and assurance, counter fraud and safeguarding investigations service to FCDO in line in with international audit and investigations standards.
This is a stretching, high-profile and business critical SCS2 position. This is a key Leadership role in FCDO, where you will be responsible for delivering a world class audit function across a complex global diplomatic and programme portfolio that encompasses over 280 locations across the globe. You will be responsible for providing FCDO with an independent, robust whistleblowing process, and delivering professional, efficient and timely investigations into all allegations relating to fraud and safeguarding (sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment). You will support the FCDO to continuously improve its systems, policies and procedures, drawing on audit results and lessons learned through the investigations caseload. You will have strong leadership and communication skills, and you will work collaboratively across with senior colleagues across corporate, policy and geographic teams.
This role currently reports to the DG Finance and Corporate in the FCDO with a reporting line also to the head of the Government Internal Audit function. There is a government policy for the function to move into the Government Internal Audit Agency by October 2024.
- Leading a world class independent internal audit assurance service within FCDO. Reporting to the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee, in full compliance with Public Sector Internal Audit Standards (PSIAS) mandated by HM Treasury; based on the International Professional Practices Framework (set by the Institute of Internal Auditors).
- Play an active role in developing the Internal Audit function and profession across central Government. Establish a close, trusted relationship with senior` colleagues in the Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA). Provide expert insight and support to help shape the future direction of internal audit in Government contributing on technical and people issues and playing an active role in the Internal Audit Leadership Group. Work closely with the GIAA to ensure risks emerging elsewhere in government are understood in relation to FCDO and contributing from the FCDO to that wider risk picture.
- Provide independent analysis and advice to the Permanent Secretary and Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC) on the remaining risks of merging with the GIAA, and assuming these have been addressed lead the team through the process by October 2024.
- Leading an independent function to provide objective risk-based assurance and advice to the Accounting Officer(s) and ARAC, through evaluation of effective risk management, control and governance processes.
- Establishing, promoting and supporting improvement and efficiency activities. Focus is wider than assurance and compliance of existing structures and processes.
- Managing the FCDO’s whistleblowing and ‘reporting concerns’ hotline, ensuring all allegations received by the Department are effectively risk assessed, handled in confidence, and with due sensitivity, and where necessary professionally investigated.
- Leading a centre of expertise on safeguarding investigations. Providing independent and objective investigations, quality assurance and oversight of allegations of sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment within FCDO and across the programme portfolio.
- Internal Audit and Assurance – Delivering an annual programme of risk-based audits, management assurance and consultancy at home and overseas. Attending ARAC meetings. Providing an evidenced annual opinion on departmental risk management, governance and internal control and annual report to the Permanent Secretary.
- Working with ALBs and Cross Government, including FCDO Services, Department for Business and Trade and the British Council. Delivered by providing advice through attendance at ARAC, undertaking audit requirements, assessment of internal service provision and assurance work.
- Drive Internal Audit service excellence. Be innovative, galvanise commitment from senior managers and Internal Audit Department teams, improve service effectiveness and build capability across the team to improve our impact.
- Improving the FCDO. As part of the Finance and Corporate senior leadership team we expect you to demonstrate personal and collective leadership to achieve the ambitions set out in the FCDO mission statement in our teams and across the FCDO.
- Driving corporate excellence. To drive a one team culture and raise standards across your teams so that Internal Audit and the Finance and Corporate Directorate aspire to and deliver the highest standards in staff engagement, people management, financial management, inclusion, diversity, wellbeing and change management.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Sunday 15th October 2023