The National Audit Office (NAO) supports parliament to hold government to account and to improve public services. We focus on driving long-term sustainable improvement in public service delivery and work with government and our stakeholders to deliver better performance. In a nutshell, we help the nation spend wisely.
As the NAO continues to provide crucial accountability for UK Taxpayers, we are looking to recruit talented, high-performing individuals to our Senior Auditor role to lead and deliver some of our key audit engagements.
The role offers a great opportunity for newly qualified and experienced Chartered Accountants who are looking to develop their skills and make an impact through their work. Candidates should have a strong working knowledge of financial audit procedures, with an interest in public sector audit. Those with experience of auditing companies and charities are also encouraged to apply.
We will support successful candidates to be proactive in their career development and use the Senior Auditor role as a platform for future success.
Full details on the role (Role Description, Candidate Specification, NAO Culture and Benefits) can be seen in the candidate information pack.
- Experience of IFRS and international standards on auditing. Recent post-qualification experience in leading external audit engagements.
- Exceptional project management skills, able to deliver high quality audit work while protecting the welfare of your teams.
- A proactive approach to problem solving and relationship building to maximise the influence of our work with government bodies and other stakeholders.
- Collaborative, engages well with colleagues at all levels, and invests in their development and the wider success of the organisation.
- The ability to lead, develop and motivate diverse teams and support all colleagues to deliver great work and achieve their potential.
- Experience of public sector or charity audits.
- Experience in implementing and embedding transformational change in financial audit methodologies, software and use of data.
- Working in a Centre of Expertise that provides assurance over complex transactions and balances.
- Experience in supporting a firm’s second and third line of defence work to improve the quality of their work
- Auditing Shared Service or complex IT environments
Are you interested?
To apply please register on our website and provide the following:
- An up-to-date CV
- Covering letter setting out briefly why you are suitable for the role (word limit: 1,000 words)
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 2 January 2024.
Please do not wait until the closing date to apply as initial interviews will be conducted throughout the process. Further details of the selection process will be given to shortlisted candidates.
- UK nationals
- Nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- Nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
Please note, we are not able to sponsor work visas.
LOCATION: We operate in a hybrid model, guided by our ways of working principles. This means a flexible approach between our offices (in London or Newcastle), client sites and home. The expectation is that we all spend at least three days a week in our offices/client sites or more as required, unless an alternative workplace adjustment has been specifically agreed.
Newcastle based: Min Salary - £51,000, Max Salary - £60,858
London based: Min Salary - £58,550, Max Salary - £67,200
Civil Service Employer Pension Contribution of 27.9%
ROLE TYPE: Permanent
FULL TIME/PART TIME: We have a number of positions available and strongly encourage individuals wishing to work with us on a part-time basis to apply and take advantage of our flexible working arrangements
“I work part time and value the flexibility of the role. As a parent of young children, my line manager is very supportive in ensuring I can manage my portfolio of audits and identifying opportunities to develop whilst trusting me to work flexibility to balance my work and home life”
- CCAB qualified (ACA, ACCA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland)