Senior Manager - Audit Methodology - Controls Audit
- Full Time
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
As experts on a wide number of issues, our Technical Standards Group (TSG) provides support to our client-facing specialists in audit/assurance and other business streams. From being on-hand to help with complex enquiries, to implementing and advising on policy and processes, TSG are the people tasked with finding solutions to some of our teams’ most complex technical issues. As part of this supportive and knowledgeable team, you’ll have a chance to use and develop your technical skills and experience, find solutions to technical queries and contribute daily to the firm’s commitment to deliver high quality output. Learn on the job. Lead and manage projects. Build a network of experienced specialists. Whatever level you are, this could be the role for you.
Our continued commitment to audit quality
Within the last year, we have increased our audit headcount by more than 250 people (14%), invested heavily in new partners, and commenced a significant investment programme in our central quality support team, including our Technical Standards Group (TSG). Due to this continued investment, we are recruiting for Senior Managers within this team
We’ll help you to succeed
We are seeking to recruit a senior manager to join the Audit Advisory team within our Technical Standards Group supporting the audit practice.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in audit, in managing an audit and audit-related projects, with exemplary technical skills regarding auditing standards and their practical application including experience in audit reporting matters. The successful candidate will have significant experience in developing controls-based audit methodology, experience in applying a controls-based based audit approach and/or will have been involved in preparing guidance, advice to audit teams implementing such strategies. Experience with SOX (or equivalent) assurance is desirable. The role will be primarily based in the Baker Street Office in London although some visits to other offices may also be required. We can offer alternative base office locations of Manchester and Birmingham.
As part of the Audit Advisory team, providing advice and ensuring compliance with ISAs and the firm’s audit methodology, particularly as it pertains to controls-based auditing including:
- Developing the firm’s approach to controls-based auditing
- Monitoring and reacting to the potential development of UK SOX, ensuring that the firm’s methodologies remain closely aligned to new requirements, developments in good audit practice in this area
- Writing and updating relevant guidance material
- Development and delivery of audit methodology training content
- Provision of support for the development and delivery of ‘group learning sessions’ which are led by partners and managers in the audit stream
- Carrying out targetted file reviews for the purposes of internal quality control or testing.
- Responding to audit methodology queries from audit staff at all levels (email, telephone or in person)
- Ad hoc methodology related assignments
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. The successful candidate will have proven audit experience as well as an ability to communicate with partners and staff at all levels.
Qualifications and technical knowledge
- ACA or similar professional accountancy qualification
- Considers themselves an expert with regards to the UK auditing standards
- An awareness of the regulatory requirements in Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man or Ireland is useful but not essential.
- As this role will involve training and coaching peers and will involve reviews of audit files for quality control and testing purposes, experience as audit manager is essential
- Wide-ranging practical experience regarding application of ISAs and audit methodology is essential; experience in IT auditing techniques would be an added advantage
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a small team and able to use own initiative
- High attention to detail
- Experience of training design, development and delivery
- Strong problem solving skills
- Takes personal responsibility and accountability for own work
We’re in it together
At BDO, we believe that when our people feel valued and rewarded, their potential is unlimited. We offer highly competitive starting salaries and review renumeration packages regularly to ensure that our pay always positively reflects performance. As well offering support with tuition and professional qualifications, we also provide the following benefits, as standard:
- 28 days’ holiday;
- access to a personal pension scheme, with matched employer contributions;
- life assurance cover;
- and income protection insurance.
That’s not all. We understand that everyone is different so, we offer a range of voluntary benefits to suit every lifestyle. Our flexible benefits platform, Flexcel, means our people can choose from a range of tax efficient options to design a benefit package that best suits them. Through Flexcel, they can:
- buy up to ten days’ extra holiday;
- add on private medical, personal accident, dental insurance or travel insurance;
- enrol in our Bike to Work scheme;
- enjoy discounts dining, and gyms;
- receive an interest free season ticket loan or interest free graduate loan;
- take an online health assessment and utilise our employee assistance programme.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we’re big enough to make the difference and collaborative enough to never lose sight of where we’re going. We know that it’s our people that make our success possible. Across our 17 UK locations, more than 6,000 of them work together to provide tax, audit, assurance and a range of advisory services that help our clients achieve their ambitious goals. Together, they’re fuelling Britain’s economic engine. Behind every complex client challenge and every untapped innovation, they’re there: ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. That’s why we’re always looking for ways to invest in our people. That means providing them with an environment where they can grow, learn, laugh and feel respected, at all times.
Are you ready to join them?