Senior Internal Auditor - Response team
Location: Birmingham, Blackpool, Bootle, Bristol, Cardiff, Coventry, Darlington, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Norwich, Sheffield, Swindon, York
Salary: £42,700 - £47,048, (£46,200 - £53,324 London Allowance). Although new entrants to the civil service are expected to join at the minimum of the salary range, we have limited discretion to agree a higher starting point dependent on current skills and experience. Existing civil servants will be appointed in line with the normal civil service pay rules.
The Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) delivers internal audit and risk assurance services to 15 of the UK’s central government departments and over 100 of their related arm’s length bodies.
We are building an Audit Response Team of skilled internal auditors who are briefed, prepared and able to ‘hit the ground running’ to support any of our customer teams pan-government on a range of programmes and activities, all focused on delivering better insights, and enabling better outcomes.
You could be working with the Ministry of Justice, DVLA, UKRI, Department for Transport, Department of Health and Social Care, DEFRA or the Ministry of Defence just to name a few, as well as working with our specialist audit teams who focus on business infrastructure such as project management, digital or commercial specialisms or working with our specialist Counter Fraud team.
With access to high profile work, you will work alongside key decision makers, audit specialists and private sector contractors within the Agency, challenging and developing your skills as well as ensuring we meet our customers’ expectations.
No two days will ever be the same in these fast-paced roles that will provide challenge, stretch and the opportunity to work with many of our customers.
Quite simply, our Audit Response Team puts the right people in the right place at the right time to ensure we provide our high quality services on time for our customers. If that sounds like an environment where you could thrive, then we’d love to hear from you.
Please note there are also opportunities to join our static teams and you will be asked your preference at interview.
Your ability to build good relationships with a variety of stakeholders whilst delivering efficient, robust audit work is fundamental along with:
- Being an effective team member, supporting wider GIAA delivery by working constructively and flexibly with colleagues to deliver appropriate outcomes.
- Managing your own time and resource effectively and efficiently; proactively identify, expect, and take ownership of issues that could impact on the delivery of your and the wider teams’ objectives and provides solutions and options ahead of deadlines.
- Providing and delivering clear and accurate reports that meet the requirements of our customers and carry out activities to ensure that agreed management actions are completed.
- Being accountable for delivery of a portfolio of audits, working on more than one assignment at once, possibly for different clients, delivering to budget and quality expectations, complying with GIAA methodology, using our IT audit software system.
- Scoping audit assignments, including drafting terms of reference, testing strategies, fieldwork plans, reporting timetables and focus work on identified risks; single audit methodology and audit management software.
To apply for this role, you will be required to write a statement of suitability of up to 500 words setting out how your skills and experience meet the following criteria:
- Able to demonstrate strong understanding of governance, risk management, control and assurance issues.
- A strong, analytical thinker and problem solver who is able to work out what needs to be done and take pride in bringing to work to a conclusion.
- Having strong writing skills and be able to communicate key messages clearly and succinctly to senior leaders, utilising a range of communication methods.
- An effective communicator and excellent interpersonal skills, relating to people at all levels across an organisation
- Experience of working collaboratively with a wide range of business and corporate stakeholders.
- Able to influence using evidence and negotiation rather than the exercise of authority.
- Demonstrate resilience and tact in the face of challenging circumstances, dealing with conflict in a prompt, calm and constructive manner.
- Be highly organised, able to work on and manage multiple projects within tight deadlines and minimal supervision.
- Be able to develop proposals to improve service quality collaborating with a diverse range stakeholders, colleagues and delivery partners.
- Experience of collecting and providing accurate, unbiased, relevant and sufficient information to support conclusions.
You will need to demonstrate full current membership of a recognised professional accountancy/audit body, either:
1. Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors UK & Ireland and must hold chartered auditor/CMIIA designation or the MIIA designation where you are qualified under the previous exam route and did not apply to make this chartered. If you have passed all the CMIIA/MIIA exams but do not hold the designation, you are not eligible to apply.
2. Other Institutes of Internal Auditors that are part of IIA Global, If you studied with the Institute of Internal Auditors in another country, you must hold the equivalent of the MIIA designation. You should verify this with the IIA UK & Ireland prior to submitting your application via email
No other level of internal audit qualifications meet the requirements of this post.
3. Accountancy, fully qualified, current member of one of five CCAB bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, CIPFA, ICAS, Chartered Accountants Ireland or CIMA)
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
- Competitive salaries and in-year rewards
- Flexible working
- A Civil Service Pension with an average employer contribution of 27%
- Discount on big brands
- Volunteering days
- Season Ticket Loan and Cycle to Work Schemes
- Free eyesight tests
- Family-friendly HR policies
- 25 days’ annual leave increasing by one day per year of service to 30 days after 5 years’ service
- Geographically based Agency